Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renovating an old Ifor Williams trailer.

Default Renovating an old Ifor Williams trailer.

Well I decided that as money was tight I would need to downsize from a lorry to a trailer simply because tax and insurance is quite a big overhead before any other bills for keeping it on the road. My much loved Falcon has been lovingly rehomed with TiffanyR (or will be soon).

Anyway, with a ridiculously small budget I set out to find a trailer I knew I wanted an Ifor Williams as they have a good reputation and parts are easily available, but I also expected that I would not be able to afford one with an aluminium floor (they start at about 1500) and so anything I bought would have to have a new floor put in. Fortunately my husband is great at DIY and we had successfully replaced the floor in the Falcon (my Bedford lorry).

I found this one on ebay and had a last minute bidding battle with one other bidder, but won it for 657. here are the ebay photos.

but also this.... It was advertised as needing a new floor (they had used it recently )
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

So, having won it I now had to get it home having never towed before!! Fortunately my lovely neighbour came with me and gave me my first lesson in towing. her best advice was to drive as if riding a dressage test and make sure you ride the corners and do not let the horse fall in on them. We collected it when it was pouring with rain (as it always is these days) and it was ok, I felt like I would be able to do this.

The basic list of work needed is pretty long and includes - new floor, new side light, straighten mud guards, straight warning triangles, sort out failing bodywork near wheels where it is going soft (slightly), re-paint, remove top rooflight and make watertight (water pours in there and has probably caused all the rotting issues), repair trim to ramps. It will of course also need a complete professional service before I use it.

Some more photos taken once I had a chance to poke about at the floor, in some places it crumbled away in my hands.

Internal light wiring needs repair

and here is the leaking rooflight which is a very poor design, new models don't have this feature.

Great project!!
    I prefer the older Ifors to the new ones. My friend has an older one like this and loves it
    Native pony addict!

Well I 've just had delivered 4 x 970 x 300mm aluminium panels which I have had made up to go behind the mud guards as reinforcement to the vulnerable softer part of the outside panels. My husband and I have been discussing the detailing of the internal rubber side panels and how to prevent muck getting behind them but allowing the existing wood panels to dry out. I need to order some angles to do this.

I have also bought the flooring which is going to be 25mm hardwood ply and I have given this lots of coats of yacht varnish to seal it. I can't wait to get the floor in as it will feel like we are making some progress.

Between downpours of rain I have managed to get some painting done.

The ramp is done (but you can't see it) and the side has had one coat of green on top of two undercoats. It will need probably another 3 coats of green for a good finish.

The old floor is out now and we really struggled to get the internal panels off as they were held on by about 20 rusted in nuts and bolts. Behind the panels it was starting to rot at the base of the wood panels, but on closer inspection these will be ok when allowed to dry out and with our proposed reinforcing...

Wow, certainly looks like a project!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Great project!!
    I prefer the older Ifors to the new ones. My friend has an older one like this and loves it
    Me too, I was even advised not to bother with the new ones by someone who works at a dealership that sells the new ones!
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Wow, certainly looks like a project!
    Oh dear , that sounds daunting !

Me too, I was even advised not to bother with the new ones by someone who works at a dealership that sells the new ones
    Why is that? what is better about them? I sadly just went with what I could afford and thought we could make work. This trailer is 1993 as I contacted Ifor Williams (but it has been serviced previously and I have the original booklet that was sold with it.)

The build quality just isn't as good imo. The old ones are more robustly built with better quality fixtures and fittings. I was looking at the new ones and they just seemed, well...crappier...flimsier... to me. Dealership person gave me some technical details which went over my head, but going from my own observations and experiences with the old models, I personally would take one of the old ones every time.
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Oh dear , that sounds daunting !
    Oh no, just read my comment back and I didn't mean OMG what the fruitbat! or anything Just it looks like a lot of work, but you seem to have it well in hand.
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Oh no, just read my comment back and I didn't mean OMG what the fruitbat! or anything Just it looks like a lot of work, but you seem to have it well in hand.

Phew!