Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Renovating an old Ifor Williams trailer.

I shall keep a tally of my costs as it might be useful for someone doing the same thing (and for me to remind me not to do it again probably!)

Trailer 657 (plus I bought the full width bars for an extra 70)
    New floor 8' x 4' ply (2 sheets but we only need a tiny bit of the second sheet) 96
    Varnish 30
    Screws + roofing bolts 25
    Undercoat (Ronseal) 15
    Topcoat (Ronseal) 2 tins 30.
    Aluminium panels cut to size 52
    New side light 10
    Secondhand but new spare wheel (as it did not have one) 40 (bargain as Ifor quoted 96)

Total so far...955.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Well done on your purchase! It will be looking super smart in no time

We have a 1990 Rice Europa project.

My OH sourced some good timber, took out the rotten floor and stripped it back to the chassis, wire wooled it then hammerited it, then layed the new tongue n' groove floor down. Really solid now!.

It needs a few cosmetic finishes, and a good paint job, but it got me out to fun rides and hunting etc last season. Was the oldest trailer on the field!

Keep up the good work

I like that it's got little brackets at the front to tie nets to.
    I've been having to tie mine to the bars over the windows which isn't ideal, not least 'cos the net over the jockey door is in the way of me popping in and out, but I also don't want to potentially bend the bars. I *just* noticed the other night (or maybe I've noticed before and forgotten) but mine has one little 'U' shaped bracket front and centre that might be there to tie nets to, though I'd have to climb on the mangers to reach it and frankly I think it would swing about in the middle like a punching bag.
    I wonder if I can get something better fitted? I've never really considered it before.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I like that it's got little brackets at the front to tie nets to.
    I've been having to tie mine to the bars over the windows which isn't ideal, not least 'cos the net over the jockey door is in the way of me popping in and out, but I also don't want to potentially bend the bars. I *just* noticed the other night (or maybe I've noticed before and forgotten) but mine has one little 'U' shaped bracket front and centre that might be there to tie nets to, though I'd have to climb on the mangers to reach it and frankly I think it would swing about in the middle like a punching bag.
    I wonder if I can get something better fitted? I've never really considered it before.
    I'm sure I've seen a gadget / special tie for haynets?, I think my neighbour used to string up a washing line thing over the ramp for her hay net to slide along.

Maybe I could modify the idea a bit using the 'U' and the bars which might push the nets back out of the way a bit. I was looking at these which look pretty easy to fit, or perhaps some standard rings but I'm not that confident to be cutting holes in my trailer myself.

Are you going for a plain green finish on yours or planning anything 'custom', decals or anything?
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Plain green I think I have an old dark green Disco so hopefully they will match. I have been looking at some of the fun stickers but I think on such an old workhorse that simplicity is probably best

When we brought ours we opted for the older model having looking into it, we went used 505 over new 506 for all the reasons mentioned! It's looking great and it'll be a faithful friend for many years yet!

Ooo fab, wish i had the guts to tow (and the car for towing for that matter )

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    The build quality just isn't as good imo. The old ones are more robustly built with better quality fixtures and fittings. I was looking at the new ones and they just seemed, well...crappier...flimsier... to me. Dealership person gave me some technical details which went over my head, but going from my own observations and experiences with the old models, I personally would take one of the old ones every time.
    Ditto that. We'd been hiring a brand new one which was great but they always had something a bit wrong with them e.g. stiff door, flimsy bolts etc. They're also a pain with the electrics because you now need an adaptor unless you've got a very new car which is temperamental. We've been using an older model recently though and its just so much more robust! The only thing I prefer about the new ones is the abundance of windows but you could put them in an old one.

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011