Thread: Louis Theroux doc

Default Louis Theroux doc

Did anyone watch the Louis Theroux documentary that was on bbc2 last night about end of life care etc in America. Oh it traumatised me I was proper sobbing through most of it.

I love Louis Theroux and will watch anything he does but my oh my was it sad I nearly had to turn off.

I have a heart of steel and never cry at anything, except maybe RSPCA animal rescue. Oh and the vet program that was on channel 5. Okay okay anything animal related, happy or sad.

I'm another heart of steel person who sat there with silent tears escaping!

... My friend died of cancer last November, aged 30, after a 4 year fight and the documentary really put me back there. Ugh, life is so unfair.

Life is so unfair that's for sure. I told my friend not to watch it because of everything she's got going on in her life.
    It was the bit when they got married that really got me. Both of my cats were clambering all other me to check I was okay.
    I did have happy tears at the end though for that guy who had been in a coma.

Wish my tears had been silent, it wasn't attractive

I didn't watch it as I was too scared I'd be a complete wreck, I cry at lots of things on tv

You would be then lol. Good choice giving it a miss

I didn't realise he had a new series! Will have to iPlayer it I think.

I have just finished watching it. I have to say it was a bit 'eeek' at points. I have to say I dont know if I would have had the continual hope of the family of the young guy that was in a coma state and the doctors had said the best case scenario was a vegetative state. I have to say I think if I had to make the decision for a family member and they told me that their prognosis was going to be a vegetative state I would probably call it a day *however* I dont know what I would be like if I was actually in that situation. I suppose looking at it now that lad is probable one is thousands that have beaten the odds and is very very lucky?!

Regarding the patients that had cancer and had continued to repetitively have chemo I dont know what I think about this. I have two thoughts - could the remaining time they had be spent with their family doing things that they want to do rather than staying in a hospital bed recieving treatment having all the ill effects of the treatment HOWEVER in the situation would I want to give it all I could to fight it? I dont know?!

A programme which has certainly left me thinking about things!!

Yup it's a series of three, the last is on bbc2 at 9 on Sunday.

I know what you mean blazing inferno, I've said to both my mum and dad if the Dr's say likelihood I'd be in a vegative state then to turn it off. I'm very optimistic lol.

It was crazy with that lad though, the odds of that happening must be ridiculous.

Looking at it without experiencing it, I can easily say I'd rather be comfy and die at home with friends and family. I was a bit oh dear stop just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelJ View Post
    Yup it's a series of three, the last is on bbc2 at 9 on Sunday.

I know what you mean blazing inferno, I've said to both my mum and dad if the Dr's say likelihood I'd be in a vegative state then to turn it off. I'm very optimistic lol.

It was crazy with that lad though, the odds of that happening must be ridiculous.

Looking at it without experiencing it, I can easily say I'd rather be comfy and die at home with friends and family. I was a bit oh dear stop just stop.
    I was very much with you on the 'oh dear stop just stop' I found it quite uncomfortable. The culture over in the USA is so different to the UK. I suppose the fact the USA is privatised and UK NHS probably has some effect on it.

I watched the dog one last week, and set this one to record, as I love his docs too.
    Sadly, we lost hubby's mum to cancer on Mother's day, so it was a bit close to home and I deleted it before watching