Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First endurance ride- stunning views!

Default First endurance ride- stunning views!

So my friend and I are training for Endurance this year. I think my pony being lame for so long last year encouraged a sort of "midlife" crisis where we are now doing everything we can before we run out of time! So endurance rides and stepping up to 80cm XC it is!

We went to Cleeve Hill (Gloucestershire) for a 28km training ride, involving three loops around the local area. It was fabulously organised and well signed, and we had a fabulous day! Bril enjoyed it, he likes nothing more than a good exploring hack, and he mostly kept his cool even when one lady persisted in cantering past us without warning on numerous occasions!

He was still raring to go by the end...never known that pony to get tired!

Pics:
    Looking like the pro I am...!

The views:

I really want to do some endurance!!!!! Think it's fab!!!! How did you find out about it???

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Looks fab, I'm going on a pleasure ride in May. It's around last of the summer wine country.

Looks great, I'd love to do a pleasure ride type thing with Toby

Oh wow, stunning scenery! Looks like you had a great time, I'd love to do something like that, although doubt Flynn would be best pleased

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

You look so happy and the photos are fab

Quote Originally Posted by TurnBackTime View Post
    I really want to do some endurance!!!!! Think it's fab!!!! How did you find out about it???

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk
    If you look on the Endurance GB website they have all the events on there. http://www.endurancegb.co.uk/html/rides.html

You don't have to be a member to do one of the pleasure rides, it just costs a few pounds more to enter. You can also get a try before you buy membership which allows you to enter two competitive rides, which is what I've done. We are entered in Forest of Dean 40km, and the Golden Horseshoe ride on Exmoor in May http://www.goldenhorseshoe-ride.co.uk/

I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by toraf View Post
    Oh wow, stunning scenery! Looks like you had a great time, I'd love to do something like that, although doubt Flynn would be best pleased
    If he likes hacking, and cantering up grassy hills, he will LOVE it. Bril wanted to gallop the whole way, it was that exciting

Quote Originally Posted by shoniedaspony View Post
    If he likes hacking, and cantering up grassy hills, he will LOVE it. Bril wanted to gallop the whole way, it was that exciting
    Sounds like right up Miloh's street! How long did it take for you to get Bril to fitness for it? Did you have a plan set up?

Quote Originally Posted by MileAMinute View Post
    Sounds like right up Miloh's street! How long did it take for you to get Bril to fitness for it? Did you have a plan set up?
    He had been in steady work through winter (4 x 45-60min schooling sesssions plus one hack 1-1.5hrs and one jumping session). From the start of Feb we started 2 hacks a week, one around an hour and the other increasing in time and length. We've built the longer hack up from 12km to about 25km over 6 weeks - roughly upping by a few km a week, but just going out and exploring. We've been picking up speed too with lots of trot work, as originally started with walking more than trotting.

The 30km we did in these photos was mostly trot (70%), with the same amount of walk time (15%) as canter time (15%) probably. As we are aiming for 40km rides, we are doing 1 long ride a week (3hrs plus) and one medium length faster ride (1.5hrs) in addition to normal riding.

ETA- Hill work is fab too, but we have barely any hills here...!