Thread: Hunter trial report

Default Hunter trial report

So today was our 2nd ever 80cm HT. We are trying to step up a level which Bril thinks is great and I think is terrifying!

We hacked there and back, it's a 7 mile ish hack from our yard, and Bril was super keen at all stages (journey there and back, and in the comp!).

He was a bit excitable in the warm up, jumping nicely but a bit joggy/sideways at times. He spent most of the time waiting to start leg yielding in circles of his own accord, I just wanted a circle but he was super excited. He shot through the start and despite this was a bit sticky over the first, rails of a fence filled in with branches, but did it with no problems. Second was the tyres, easy and probably around 60cm. Third was a big brush fence which he looked at but I kicked on and he flew. The wiggle through a gap in the fence, onto a log pile with a gap underneath, flew it, then a solid box type jump, and onto another set of rails through a fence. By this point we have some serious speed and I'm having to steady him to make sure we get sensible jumping! Dodged a burnt out bonfire and then over a palisade, fine.

Onto a sizeable rolltop, no problems then a slightly longer stretch to a chair, which he was going fast at and leapt! Then across the field to a big box, easy peasy. After this there was a timed gate into the woods, we pretty much cantered to the gate, opened and through fast, then had to spin and close which took slightly longer. I'd been a bit worried about picking him up straight after as the next jump was about 6 strides later, but he was fine, he leapt over a brush hedgehog no problems, over a pretend trakhener and out of the woods over a log box. After this, there was a dog kennel, which was the other side of a big 'dip' in the field. when walking round, we'd seen a slight path through the dip which was more gradual, but from onboard I couldn't spot it so I just went for the dip and Bril leapt it like it was a ditch :/ So we arrived at the kennel somewhat dishevelled, but got over it fine! Then over a wall at an angle into the woods (otherwise it looked like you were jumping straight into a tree!). In the woods was a pheasant feeder, big but easy, and then slowed to trot to jump out over another wall as the angle was tight.

After this it went a bit to pot... Now we were back next to the warm up, he jumped the next house easily, but started napping as I tried to turn away for the penultimate jump, a haycart. My legs were kicking like mad but he was totally unresponsive, and we didn't really have a stop or a run out so much as a gradual refusal of Bril to move forward towards the jump. I circled and he jumped it second time fine (as you can see on vid!). Then to the final fence, even further from the warm up and he did exactly the same, with me seemingly powerless to prevent it But again, circled and then over that fine.

A little vid (click on it)-

Overall I'm pleased that the height was no problem, for either of us really, and he did fly round most, just irritated at the bits of napping near the end which led to refusals Any ideas for that welcome! We need more comp practice really but it's time and money...as ever.

Well done, great report (apart from the napping at the end)

Overall a good day bar the napping at the end then you both looked like you were enjoying it so that's the main thing!

Shame about the napping but sounds positive otherwise. He looks good, well done

Professional pics: Shame they chose some of the smaller jumps!

http://www.simoncoatesphotography.co...68#page=thumbs