Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (spoilers, probably!)

You guys are making me want to read/watch it! What would you recommend doing first reading or watching?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aimie View Post
    You guys are making me want to read/watch it! What would you recommend doing first reading or watching?

read!! The shows don't develop characters/storylines nearly as well (I suppose because there's so much to fit in!!)

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

READ IT!

I adore the series, I really do. The actors are all awesome, the sets are incredible and the writing is absolutely wonderful. But the books are fabulous. As chapters are written from specific points of view, you get so much more depth, for example, Theon, who seems like a complete dick in the series and lots of my series-fan friends (as opposed to book-fan friends) have expressed opinions that he seems a bit whitewashed and bland, but actually has layers and layers of depth that the external nature of television can't ever really get at. There are places where the series deviates from the books (quite dramatically in some places), sometimes amalgamating a couple of characters into one or changing details because they fit the needs of the series a bit better, but it keeps the show interesting for those of us who are familiar with the storylines.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Aimie View Post

Unlike Toraf I'd probably watch the show first! I watched series 1, then read all the books, and I do kind of wish I hadn't. I really like the books, don't get me wrong, but there are so many things that happen on the show where I wish I hadn't known it was coming!
    Also, the show has broader appeal than the books. Most people think the show is amazing, but it's not uncommon for people to give up on the books because (although I think they're very good) they are long and the last two do drag a bit. My sister, for example, read the first book then gave up, but still watches the TV show avidly.

Although really I don't think it matters which way round you do it, especially if you're a keen reader (you do need staying power to make it through the books). There is quite a bit of detail that gets missed out of the show and the books really are very clever, especially with the characterization, which is brilliant!! The only thing is, if you start the books but think "this isn't for me", make sure you still watch the TV show because it is awesome!!

Oh, and try to avoid spoilers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    for example, Theon, who seems like a complete dick in the series
    That's because he IS a dick. I've never got the Theon love from some book fans, AT ALL. I HATE him in the books and I HATE him in the TV series and I will NEVER forgive him for betraying Robb

Can you tell it's something I feel strongly about?! Imagine what I'm like with Roose Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by HashRouge View Post
    Unlike Toraf I'd probably watch the show first! I watched series 1, then read all the books, and I do kind of wish I hadn't. I really like the books, don't get me wrong, but there are so many things that happen on the show where I wish I hadn't known it was coming!
    Also, the show has broader appeal than the books. Most people think the show is amazing, but it's not uncommon for people to give up on the books because (although I think they're very good) they are long and the last two do drag a bit. My sister, for example, read the first book then gave up, but still watches the TV show avidly.

Although really I don't think it matters which way round you do it, especially if you're a keen reader (you do need staying power to make it through the books). There is quite a bit of detail that gets missed out of the show and the books really are very clever, especially with the characterization, which is brilliant!! The only thing is, if you start the books but think "this isn't for me", make sure you still watch the TV show because it is awesome!!

Oh, and try to avoid spoilers!!!
    Yeah that is actually a really good point! I absolutely adore reading, and hate it when I don't have a book on the go, and even then I think it took me like a year to get through all the books? So you do have to have dedication Also I was lucky my brother already had all the books, so I didn't have to wait to get a new one, whereas if you don't read them one after the other you'll probably get too out of the complicated story lines. I finished them a few years ago, so I'm not sure what I'll do when the next book finally comes out (if it ever does!!), as I really can't remember what has been happening

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

Quote Originally Posted by HashRouge View Post
    That's because he IS a dick. I've never got the Theon love from some book fans, AT ALL. I HATE him in the books and I HATE him in the TV series and I will NEVER forgive him for betraying Robb

Can you tell it's something I feel strongly about?! Imagine what I'm like with Roose Bolton
    It took me a couple of readings to find any level of sympathy for Theon, and while I don't love him, I do think he's an interesting character who came to some realizations about himself (and life in general) too late. I really wish the series had been able to push some of the deeper aspects of his motivations. For one of my uni modules, I had to "imagine" someone to apply some of the theories to, so I borrowed Theon. He's been fun to psychoanalyze!

Don't get me started on Bolton, otherwise referred to as "that betraying ******* who wears mail to weddings"
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him

[/CENTER]

I think I read the first chapter of the first book about 5 times before I got any further, I eventually managed to struggle through to the end. After two attempts to read the second book (got about a third of the way through both times) I have, as Hashrouge says, given up. They are far too much like hard work, watching the series is much more fun.

Definitely avoid spoilers though, don't even google Game of Thrones!

I am on week five of box rest for my dislocated rib and am thoroughly bored having long since finished re-reading ASoIaF and re-watching GoT. I can't in good conscience watch this week's episode until Mr Sez gets home from work, so I am hunting down sources of entertainment to keep me occupied for the day. This has been good for about twenty minutes of entertainment so far!

http://www.cracked.com/video_18913_i...de-in-90s.html

[/CENTER]

Have you seen this Sez? It's hilarious!

I spend waaay too much time watching GoT vids on youtube

And when you get to watch it, tonight's episode is AMAZING