Thread: Improving trot up

Default Improving trot up

I do workers with my Connie and we're finally getting the jumping cracked got 16 and 15 out of 20 in our classes today at NPS show which was pleased with as still room for iimprovementso hopefully be able to get some really good marks in future. Plus was only our first intermediate and got 15.

Anyway what's letting us down now is our show and trot up. Show I need to plan more I think and not over ride as I tend to mess with my hands too much which he does not need as works so well at home when I have lessons. Also need to work on extension/gallop as he gets excited and takes off or bucks! So any tips to help with that as well would be great! Got 5 and 6 out of 10 so pretty bad !

Main thing is our trot up he just hates it, ears pinned back and not really going forward. Is practice the key to getting it better?! Never practice which I know I need to but been so busy concentrating on other parts. Any tips greatly appreciated. Think we got 12 and 13 out of 20 for confo today so not horrendous but not great.

Got 6th in novice so could of been even better if not messed up other bits!

Next show I think end of may so hoping we can improve before then! He has so much scope I think he could do really well I just let him down big time usually!

We've been running showing clinics at our yard recently and have another on 10th May so we are going to do a video of a good strong show display - i'll post it when it's done (my YO has been to HOYS 9 times now)
    a good gallop can really improve show marks so practice shortening and extending, try and find the button to press that doesnt ignite any explosions. Edge on the side of caution if he feels a little on edge - a slightly slower gallop will get you a better mark than a buck, hump or head throw

With inhand, how would he be if you had polos in your hand/glove? I always keep loads in my tweed pocket for the inhand part! Keeps Alfie's attention on me
    Native pony addict!

Ooo yeah that'd be good if you posted it. My yo does a lot of showing too been to HOYS etc loads so could probably ask her but don't see her much and is more her daughter who does the riding and see her even less.

Got a lesson with my instructor on weds in a big arena at old yard so may try practising gallop then as although she doesn't show hopefully be able to help. Yeh think that's why our mark was so low he did all 3 buck,hump, head throw and was just a bit awful! Also spooked at one of the sheds.

Tthink polos will be the thing to try as he does like treats! Due to mum always giving thm so she can manage him! What's the best way to get him trotting more forwards rather than dragging him?! Is annoying as if trot up say for vet/physio etc he goes lovely and forward even a bit too much but comes to showing and he's horrible!

Thanks

My horse is always reluctant to trot up for Chiro etc. What I have found works for us is to have lots of energy yourself. Get excited and enthusiastic and lots of encouragement and he feeds off that. That always seems to work for us and I never have to drag him.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
    Tthink polos will be the thing to try as he does like treats! Due to mum always giving thm so she can manage him! What's the best way to get him trotting more forwards rather than dragging him?! Is annoying as if trot up say for vet/physio etc he goes lovely and forward even a bit too much but comes to showing and he's horrible!

Thanks
    Does he react to clicks/ kisses noise or voice?
    Native pony addict!

You might be on to something moody muley thinking about it I probably aren't enthusiastic as know he's normally bad. Will have to make sure I am next time, made him trot down field tonight and he had his ears back to start then forwards but I was a lot more come on lets go yay!

Not sure on him reacting to noises not something I've ever noticed. Will try that tomorrow.

Try and practice in an enclosed area, you need someone with a schooling whip behind him as you ask him to trot on to encourage him to trot out. Many people try this on their own with a schooling whip but the horse tends to swing the back end over. I would suggest a packet of tick -tacks, shake to get horses attention trot out with person behind and reward with mint when they have done it .

Never thought of getting someone else with a whip behind him, will have to try that. Haven't actually practised since I posted this and only been out to one more show as other one was cancelled and not many workers around. Didn't have to trot up yesterday which was lucky as he was flipping out because the hounds had gone past for the hunt parade thing. So not a successful day!

Got a month till our next so will have to give myself a kick up the bum to get going and practice!

Thank you