Thread: Riding with ME

Default Riding with ME

Hi,

Was diagnosed about three months ago and am now virtually bed bound and unable to work. Have got someone looking after my pony and my instructor and a teenage girl riding him.

Has anyone else with ME got through a bad patch and managed to pace themselves enough to begin riding again?

My main problems are with severe fatigue and a lot of pain, so riding seems an impossible dream

Catherine

Not so much riding but a friend of mine has ME - she was diagnosed over 12 years ago now and the first 12-18 months were a real struggle for her until she got things under control.

she found that diet really made a difference. For the last 10 years now she has been back at work and, apart from a bad week here and there, is living a relatively normal life. She doesn't ride but she does go to the gym, go out, drive, go on holiday, go swimming, go dancing - she tries not to let it restrict her life but, as I said, it did take her a while to get to grips with it and try different things until she found what worked for her.

Good luck

Im sorry I am of no help but I know people with ME in work (no horses) and really feel for you. I hope you get things under control soon xx

I have me and have had it 5 years and yes I do ride.

The first two years were crap to be honest luckily my mare was recovering from injury so we left her resting a bit longer.

I had very little help from doctors and had to learn to pace my life on my own luckily family and oh very supportive. I would push through more often than I should to go see her and found having a cuddle with her made me have a reason to fight this illness it took time but I got back in the saddle after two years could only ride for 5mins then got off and gradually over the next year increased the time I could ride for.

I now work 20hrs a week have two gorgeous horses who I enjoy riding and manage to keep in a reasonable workload, I am also expecting in Nov.

Life can go on after me it's crap at the start if your doc allows it look into amytriptolene or tramadole they work a treat for the pains and helping cope with the fatigue.

Best of luck but don't give up hope it does get better just takes time and don't sell your horse having that reason to get up will help you x

Thanks. Bit of a funny week as bought myself a wheelchair which makes me feel a bit of a fraud. However, can't stand for v long so essential if I ever want to leave the house!