Thread: Basilbum forced to do 'proper' stressage

Default Basilbum forced to do 'proper' stressage

So he's now reg BD and we went out on sun and yesterday..... well he's got his 3 scores for novice pet plan area festival

We've had a long break from competing .... I really couldn't summon the will over the winter and we spent it plodding about with his bestest friend/big brother.

On Sat his behaviour blew me away he was calm, chilled no stress head at all so I rode him very 'safely' as well I couldn't really ask for more and we came 2nd both both novice restricted sections. With fair marking as contact wasn't consistent (62.something in first and 64.something in second test)

Yesterday we went up to Houghton hall (havent been since taken over and done up) and wow is the indoor now a tad spooky.... Basil wasn't all that impressed and I went round the ring thinking hmmm ok I'll just ride what I have. Well he surprised me greatly and really kept a lid on his worry/tension for another 2nd (64.something) only beaten by like 0.4 of a %. I find it so much easier in a 20x60!

Warmed up for the Elem like a trooper, really working well! Went into test, some movements felt great, some a tad rusty, and some a lack of prep from the rider but was a tad disappointed to see a 57.something score even groom (who is a judge) shrugged and said well she just must not have liked him. Got my sheet and the marking was really dubious a movement that went very wrong through lack of preperation from myself got a 7.0! When the previous same movement on the other rein which was very well prepared and felt (and looked good to groom) good got a 5.0. His canter stretch in my eyes was pretty bad he lowered but curled under completely (previous bad bad habit we have mainly got over in walk and trot) got a 7.5 .... So I'm ignoring that test sheet !

But I'm very chuffed with my little (big) boy who has always found dressage very much stressage! He now really feels like we work together and he's really now 'trying' for me I can't really ask more than that!

Stop with my waffle here are some pics

Trotting

Med canter

Med trot

Med trot tuther rein

I feel more and more blessed to have him!

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

He looks great, well done

Love your light rein in that last pic!

What a clever chap Well done!

Well done!! I am currently trying to gather the mojo to go and compete again, really loving schooling but the thought of competing not so much...
    He looks really good, he even looks relaxed!! Clever Basil!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Congrats!! Looking great both of you

Thanks guys I'm really chuffed with him

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.