Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bascote Luna - the journey

Default Bascote Luna - the journey

Thought I'd start Luna a diary aswell as Moo, to remember the progress as it's all a bit daunting at the moment.

So, Luna arrived on Wednesday and settled into the field with Moo and his fieldmate Issy quite easily. She pulled up with Moo to start with but Issy has now befriended her.

On Thursday I caught her to check her over and give her a groom but she didn't want to leave the other two even though we only went the others side of the gate, but I persevered. Her leading needs some work as she's always been led next to her friend, but I'm sure it will come.

I am keen to get her standing square for a bit of showing towards the end of this year. It's something I've never been able to teach moo in hand but luna gets the idea already and will square one foot up at a time. Good starting block

Yesterday I groomed her in the field and Moo was most put out LOL so he joined in and groomed Luna at the same time, so so cute. She loved it. I took a quick photo of the two of them

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Few more pics

I love her markings, think she will do really well showing.

Today I dug out a rope halter, lunge line and gloves for some pressure and release practice. She's not wanted to be led since she arrived so I thought it was the ideal time to get started

For a few minutes she looked a bit confused but then it clicked and I led her onto the yard on her own and she stood nicely for a groom and met josh on his bike

We've been continuing the leading in every day for a brush and fuss and she's doing great

Yesterday I bought her and Moo in together, put Moo in the stable and tied Loony up outside. Then I trimmed Moos beard with my little trimmers so she could experience the sound. She was very intrested in them so I ran them on her shoulder first and up her neck. Then into her face and took a bit of beard off

Today I bought her in alone after she pestered me while I poo picked LOL. Shes got confident now and seems to trust me. She led without any hint of hesitation and stood for a thorough grooming. We also walked up to the main gate which is only about 40ft away but away from the yard, and did our first trot up in hand good girlie, bit forward but a little tug on the rope and she understood

I really REALLY like her!!!! Wishing you best of luck with her she looks lovely

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Ah thanks. I'm growing fond of her myself now she's more settled.

Yesterday I arrived to find a very ****ed off couple of ponies. There were horse flies everywhere and poor Luna was eaten alive. So I dug out moos fly rug and headed over with halter and rug in hand.

Luna has never worn a rug. She snorted as I popped it over her shoulders and as I slowly pulled it over her she went for a little trot on the end of the lead rope. I didn't make a fuss and just kept calm and when she stood still again I took it off and made fuss of her. Then popped it back on without a fuss

Well tonight Luna showed me her exuberant side when I dared take her for a little walk. A few huge rears but I just ignored her and praised her when was good, finished on a good note and I'm popped now

My goodness Luna is a bit testing LOL. Shes isnt the extra chilled out cob that her brother Xander is but can be rather feisty. Typical mare LOL bit I'd forgotten how tiring it can be! Got some lovely pics tonight though......... To follow

Yay finally some movement photos