Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit Air in Action!

Quote Originally Posted by jroz View Post
    Curious, did you have a regular BP on underneath? I've thought about getting a hit-air but see that many still wear a BP underneath. Which model of the hit-air do you have?
    I didn't, I won't wear a hard shell BP (unless required for competition) so the Hit Air is the perfect compromise for me. A hard shell BP wouldn't give me protection where I need it anyway!!

This is the comparison between the different models...
    http://www.air-vest.com/HitAirModelComparisonChart.htm

I bought the MLV. I really wanted the black with reflector stripes (hi viz mandatory for trec) but I couldn't get it outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Thanks for posting this Rips, really interesting especially regarding the impact of your fall and your coccyx (sorry if that sounds a bit weird!)

I fractured my coccyx over 4 years ago and still have problems with it which flared up again when Re collapsed on me this Jan even though I didn't land on it.
    Who/what collapsed on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    I'd say they definitely would be, I see on their facebook page they offer to service them sometimes at events, replace cannisters or check for damage (they were at tattersalls here) maybe you could get it serviced and they would give you a receipt/docket for it that would help you sell it? That would be my only concern if I was buying secondhand. They were offering buyers free service for jackets over a year old
    Thanks Rips, will check out the servicing! Definitely find the time to get yourself checked by a physio, they are often much better than the doctors anyway!

Thestral *SOB* I just bought one new, would totally have been interested in second hand - lots of place offer servicing for them now (tack shops, etc), which really takes away the fear of second hand. But I could find new ones, so I guess people hang on to them.

Rips, thanks for sharing. I am always terrified mine won't go off the time I need it, so it's reassuring to hear a success story. Had you set yours up yourself or professionally, did you do anything other than follow instructions in between? ... I keep my lanyard long as it is for that extreme just in case situation XC with Lance or while backing Ghost. Obviously I hope I never need it, butI am ruddy glad it's there.

Hi Rips in Jan Re collapsed on me whilst in walk out hacking, it was the start of his epileptic fits, fortunately I was fairly lucky, I was knocked out and suffered from concussion, whiplash and bruising all down my right side but it could have been so much worse.

Unfortunately after this incident although we hoped that it might have been a one off and he could be happy retired his fits started happening more and more frequently, even just being fed would trigger them and he was becoming a scared and very anxious boy, he deteriorated so much quicker than any of the vets had thought and had to be pts just 4 weeks later. He was only 12

I've come off twice in mine now - bad luck really as it's an expensive job! Might put me off falling if I know it'll cost 20 a fall! I live in mine, although with my last fall I wouldn't have been protected from injury as it was my elbow which was hurt. But I will agree to falling off and feeling quite comfy bouncing off the floor!

Ive vey set my lanyard up to accommodate drops out XC and getting somewhat unseated while jumping so it's fairly long, but it's always fully inflated before I bounce on the floor.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

Hi Rips in Jan Re collapsed on me whilst in walk out hacking, it was the start of his epileptic fits, fortunately I was fairly lucky, I was knocked out and suffered from concussion, whiplash and bruising all down my right side but it could have been so much worse.

Unfortunately after this incident although we hoped that it might have been a one off and he could be happy retired his fits started happening more and more frequently, even just being fed would trigger them and he was becoming a scared and very anxious boy, he deteriorated so much quicker than any of the vets had thought and had to be pts just 4 weeks later. He was only 12
    Your poor thing, I'm really sorry to hear that, that's awful

While hard shell BP's are generally worn for XC, the air jackets will be a grand thing for hacking, as it will definitely limit the damage of falling on a hard surface like the road. I'll be happily wearing mine all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Rips, thanks for sharing. I am always terrified mine won't go off the time I need it, so it's reassuring to hear a success story. Had you set yours up yourself or professionally, did you do anything other than follow instructions in between? ... I keep my lanyard long as it is for that extreme just in case situation XC with Lance or while backing Ghost. Obviously I hope I never need it, but I am ruddy glad it's there.
    I couldn't find anywhere here to get one fitted so I bought mine online (but from an authorised dealer = warranty!)

I was kind of mooching about looking for a while but then there was a 20% sale on the website for Christmas, and they were included, it was too good a discount to hang about!

It came fully assembled and ready to rock, all I had to do was push the safety guard up so it was 'ready'.

However, I actually took it apart to check the canister was still sealed

I read the instructions back to front a million times and investigated how it worked, and put it back together... sort of investigating that *it would* go off! Its quite simple. The lanyard I left at its longest length.

I stood on a 1ft mounting block to get on, I held up the lanyard to see the sort of length it was, and found it wasn't long enough from there to reach the tie point. I got up and clipped in, I stood up in my stirrups to see how much room I had, and I had loads, and since the excess was laying on the horse, my friend suggested I shorten it. So I did. I stood up again and I still had a small bit of excess (plus allowing for the stretchy bit) but then we discussed what would happen in a bronc situation ... where, if by some miracle I managed to stay with the horse after going upwards, I didn't want the jacket to inflate if I had a chance at staying on. So I lengthened it back to its original length (almost full length)
    I think its best to do this sitting on the horse and visualise the distances involved.

Sure, it will take a bit of a faff and a consideration first time, but once its done its done. I'd say mine could have been 3 inches or so shorter and still worked perfectly. Half of foot of leeway is a grand margin of error as far as I'm concerned, you could pick a 'middle of the road' length first time.

I've just measured it there, from the pommel to the one touch clip on the jacket my lanyard was actually 55cm. There is a small bit of it is elasticated, so at full stretch it was 65cm. I went straight out to the side before gravity came into play and the jacket popped before I started going downwards if you get me!
    Vega is not very tall so I might shorten it now 3 inches in case the next fall is a topple, and see how that fares out and I think that will be just perfect. But then I'm not going to be doing XC just yet, in which case the long length I had would be fine.

You definitely have to do some consideration, height of horse, etc ... but its not hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ponylover88 View Post
    I've come off twice in mine now - bad luck really as it's an expensive job! Might put me off falling if I know it'll cost 20 a fall! I live in mine, although with my last fall I wouldn't have been protected from injury as it was my elbow which was hurt. But I will agree to falling off and feeling quite comfy bouncing off the floor!

Ive vey set my lanyard up to accommodate drops out XC and getting somewhat unseated while jumping so it's fairly long, but it's always fully inflated before I bounce on the floor.
    Yeah, its like a double whammy, as I am ordering a new canister and a spare now. If I hadn't been injured I would have liked a spare and I would have ridden off again!

In most cases, erring on the longer length is safer I think

- drops XC
    - getting left behind over a jump
    - vertical rear and falling off backwards
    - bronced into the air
    -flying off sideways
    -over the head

The only thing a shorter lanyard will do is activate it quickly if you come straight downwards out of the saddle... I've never had such a fall. And that would be an innocuous type of fall most likely.

The one exception is the rotational.

I long lanyard won't go off quick enough in the unfortunate event that you are still *with* the horse as you fall... but imagine now, that the lanyard is shorter and popped as soon as the horse tips ... number one, this length would not be practical for XC, where rotationals occur ... and number two, it wouldn't save you, if it popped this early, by the time the horse hit the ground, your jacket would be starting to lose the rigidity of the cushion and you would get crushed regardless. It would still afford you some protection but not the buffer its usually capable of.

jeez thats awfull

Just to say:

Its only Tuesday and I am almost fine!! 2 more days and I will have no residual pain in my coccyx I'd say. (I haven't been to the physio yet)
    That is a remarkably short recovery time compared to my other falls ... it obviously took a huge amount of the force out of my impact.

When you spend so much money on a piece of kit you want to be impervious but considering I am a bit broken already, I'll settle for that!!