Thread: A BD Elementary debut for Fergus

Default A BD Elementary debut for Fergus

We were at Norton Heath doing E43 yesterday - it may have been a poor choice for a BD debut as it was completey mobbed! There were at least 3 rings, the warm ups were packed and the lorry park not far short of chaotic! Oh well - baptism of fire I suppose...

He warmed up reasonably, and we didn't have any major multi horse pile ups - which was little short of miraculous - and he rocked around the test pretty nicely. Some of the trot work, and his medium canter felt pretty nice, but I for the rest of the test, I imagine the poor judge was sitting in her hut whacking her face repeatedly on the desk with despair...

In terms of really dumb mistakes, I seemed to be suffering from a faulty navigational compass,resulting in a spectacular half pass onto a forgotten 15m circle ("funny shaped circle!") and a rogue final halt at I rather than G... Literally throwing marks away!

His leg yield was about as sideways as a very straight thing, which I suspect reflected the knife which had been embedded between my shoulder blades for the entire test. For reasons which do not need exploring at this juncture, I had spent several hours the night before on an enforced bike ride despite my protestations. It would be an understatement to say I was stiff in the morning, and probably blocking him a fair bit, as normally he's very much up for going sideways. I hope that was the issue anyway...

So it would be fair to say I wasn't expecting great things in the way of results. I was pleasantly surprised with his score of 61.4% - lots of marked docked for avoidable mistakes, and a number of very fair criticisms in the comments. However, the judge was clearly prepared to give him marks when we did get it fairly right, and the result isn't a complete embarassment, even though it was far from our best performance. I'm taking this as encouaging - I'd be more than happy with 65% on our best days, given his conformation and lack of flashiness, and if we can get low 60s with our less than stellar performance yesterday, I think that might be doable.

Of course, it helps when you can blind the judge with simply obscene amounts of bling... The poor woman will probably be seeking medical attention for her burned retinas and sending us the bill... Does 3rd party liability cover this, or should I write on my entry forms in future warning the judge to bring protective sunglasses?! Seriously - look at the sparkle on his shiny new Equiens browband (look them up on facebook - they're ace!):

The final move was renamed specially for us: "vaguely aim for centre line and flop into a sweaty halt somewhere, anywhere between X and judge". We managed this sublimely...

more pics here if anyone isn't bored witless:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0985850&type=1

Ooh, I love the bling! I have them plait bands too, although went for subtler bling on the browband through OH's protests!

I'd be pleased with that on an off day. We recently done our first test of the year and wasn't our finest hour and got 62 - which last year I'd gave been thrilled with for a good test so had to have a stern word with myself not to be disappointed with it when I knew it wasn't our best effort!

Loving seeing another 'non dressage' type competing well at BD though. RI has said she thinks Fabs now definitely at a good enough standard for prelim/novice BD, I'm sceptical though as still fear we'd be laughed out the place! He's deffo not a flashy WB type!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

He is really handsome sorry just had to show some love I have absolutely no clue about dressage stuff !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio's filly! View Post
    Ooh, I love the bling! I have them plait bands too, although went for subtler bling on the browband through OH's protests!

I'd be pleased with that on an off day. We recently done our first test of the year and wasn't our finest hour and got 62 - which last year I'd gave been thrilled with for a good test so had to have a stern word with myself not to be disappointed with it when I knew it wasn't our best effort!

Loving seeing another 'non dressage' type competing well at BD though. RI has said she thinks Fabs now definitely at a good enough standard for prelim/novice BD, I'm sceptical though as still fear we'd be laughed out the place! He's deffo not a flashy WB type!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! Bling is awesome Yea, exactly - I said all along, I'd be happy with AF qualifying scores (ie 62%). So if I was aiming for 62 on my best days, I can't be too disappointed with 61.something on a mediocre day! And he now has a point, and I'm apparently a group 7 rider (this is all news to me - no idea what it all means! ) We just need to up our game and aim for 62 next time!

Ooh you should totally go for it - there were a lot of poncy wbs there, but nobody vomited with the shock of the blinged-up hairball, or had a fainting fit with the horror of it all Some of them were even quite nice! I'm certain nobody would laugh at you Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hollyxx View Post
    He is really handsome sorry just had to show some love I have absolutely no clue about dressage stuff !

No apologies necessary - I think he's handsome too

Oh lord... Bling

He looks fab though despite the bling Respectable score as well!!! Do you have more outings planned?

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Love bling! It's so strange for me to see a highland plaited though he's a lovely looking boy, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    Oh lord... Bling

He looks fab though despite the bling Respectable score as well!!! Do you have more outings planned?
    Sorry, sorry - will put a warning on any future threads for bling-haters to don their sunglasses! You don't want to know what else we're planning... *whispers* I'm looking for gold bling plaiting bands and my buddy at Equiens (https://www.facebook.com/equiensbrowbands?fref=ts) is making me some blingy spur straps too

And back in the room, I think we're at Hastingwood this Sunday for another crack at E43. I want another point, if we can, to keep his current one company - nothing sadder than a lonely point Hopefully I will manage to iron out the navigaton issues this week!

Quote Originally Posted by chelseabobo View Post
    Love bling! It's so strange for me to see a highland plaited though he's a lovely looking boy, well done!

Thanks! Yes it does raise a few eyebrows, but I don't show and it's such a pig having his whole mane untrimmed. My old cob used to be full on traditional:

And he's gone back to virtually hogged / short trim too. Only the 4 y'old's mane remains, and that won't last - as soon as he starts competing it will be gone!