Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TREC newbie...

Default TREC newbie...

Hi guys,

Just wondering what advice or tips there are for a TREC newbie? Hoping to have my first attempt next month. Read up on what I need etc, sounds great fun.

Do many of you do TREC?

TIA :-)
    Keep trying and eventually you will crack it....

Libby had a go at a mini Trec last Friday

Obstacles and control of paces

I'll try upload my pics

Lol yeah can see control of paces being interesting for us ;-)

How'd you find the obstacles?

I love Trec

I made this video for the club actually, for a presentation that was being given for people interested in starting...

Most recently I've started wearing a bumbag for POR, handiest thing to have your map, phone, and stopwatch in I find. All I have around my neck is a whistle then. And for us, those are the compulsory things a rider should have on their person (+ medical armband)

Also in there is a pen and a highlighter for the maproom, a compass (not required at all levels) and a tiny piece of light coloured ribbon, which I use to mark the scale of 1km on so I can split my map route into sections.

In my saddle bags then I'll have my first aid kit, hoofpick, raingear, leadrope and a torch (drink and a bar as well usually)

I wear a headcam so no headtorch for me. Headcollar on the horse.

My horse doesn't wear a martingale which is great for the inhand PTV obstacles, otherwise I think its a bit of a faff.

Could you ride wearing a small back pack? Don't want to go out to buy saddle bags just yet but see there is a bit of kit to carry and not sure how else I could accommodate it??

You certainly could, for your snacks and first aid kit etc but you would need some of your things in a bumbag/pockets or free to access, as I don't think a backpack would be practical.

If you don't have saddlebags, consider wearing your map in a case around your neck (you can make one out of a poly pocket) you can wear your whistle and stopwatch too. Lots of people do that for convenience anyway, I always just feel a bit trussed up!

Put your hoofpick, phone and a miniature first aid kit in a bumbag then? Your could also wear a light breathable raincoat (and you wouldn't have to carry it) If you had a pocket for your phone either.
    Headcollar on the horse, Leadrope rolled up and clipped to saddle.

My friend got a perfectly fine bumbag in the poundshop here

I have a shires bumbag - stole it off my mum as she never uses it for my whistle, and human first aid kit (and anything I can feasibly carry on me.

i have a map case from go outdoors or somewhere like that (can buy them in sports direct for a couple of quid I think too!) which I attach initially round my neck but I rapidly get annoyed with it so attach it to my saddle bags in front of my saddle, then tuck my folded map case up under my thigh whenever I don't need it.

For my snacks/drinks, horse first aid kit and my check point sheet they all go in my saddle bags for easy reach. One thing I didn't mention was that I always tie my compass to the string on my map case - so if I need it it's there.

A compass is compulsory for level 1 up, although they say you more than likely don't need it for L1/2.

For my waterproofs, I have a cag in a bag type of jacket which fits nicely into my drinks holder in my bumbag.

i have seen others with backpacks, but your horse gear iirc has to be attached somehow to your horse with the rider items attached to you.

Runaway - the trec that MHL is referring to was quite nice - had a canter corridor, straight into bending, then you did ridden immobility (prepare to find unmounted immobility though!), rein back corridor, gate (using a corner of drain pipes on sticks), then a Z bend (an easier S bend) ridden, into what would normally be a bridge but made out of carpet, then finally over 3 jumps. It was a little bit more contained than a normal PTV IMO, but quite nice to ride.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Snip/sig.png[/IMG]

[COLOR=Magenta]A [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]horse [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]gallops [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]with [/COLOR][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]his [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]lungs,[/COLOR] [COLOR=Magenta]perseveres [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]his [/COLOR][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]heart,[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]and [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrchid]wins [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta]with [/COLOR][COLOR=Orange]his [/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]character.[/COLOR]

I used to just shove it all in pockets or clip it onto the horse. I was quite skilled at finding ways to clip stuff on

Practice the obstacles and CoP at home - they're easy to mock up and a good way of picking up a tonne of marks even if your map reading is a bit shakey. But if you're starting at L1 it's not too hard to keep to the route. Practice judging how long it takes you to travel a km at a certain speed too - easily done with a GPS tracker on your phone

I have 9 million photos if you're bored...

Wow guys thank you for all the info . Think it'll be a great way of getting to know my wee mare better and finding out what we need to work on! Think it'd suit her down to the ground as it looks like she'd have things to think about.

I may be going to a competition in July so appreciate the input.

Well I'm entered into my first competition this month I've been reading the hand book and am quite excited Going to practice our cantering for the CoP phase I think ;-) Any tips you'd like to share feel free