Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showing in a snaffle.

Default Showing in a snaffle.

Hi everyone!

My borrowed pony had a fantastic day at his first show and managed to come away with a first and third rosette in novice classes. Overall a brilliant day.

I did show him in a snaffle though and noticed I was the only one in a snaffle in any of the m&m classes.

I am planning to take him to another show next week but do I need to put him in a pelham to fit in with the rest of the seasoned showing people?
    The judge did say the snaffle looked novicey even though he went very well in it.

The classes I am planning on doing are open ridden m&m and inhand m&m.

If I was to do pelham, how do I do it? Do I need a new bridle?
    Which type of pelham is best?
    I've never even used double reins before...would I be able to pick it up quickly ?

Showing 'correct' is a double or pelham but if your horse goes better in a snaffle show him in that.
    I show my m&m in a double unless doing novice classes because he goes better.

You could put him in a pelham it's just a normal bridle, get someone to help you and show you how to ride with double reins. It's quite easy to pick up.

I thought novices were supposed to be shown in snaffles !!

Quote Originally Posted by Toffee Monster View Post
    I thought novices were supposed to be shown in snaffles !!
    Technically yep they are, in my county novice class there were ponies in swales pelhams.
    I assumed that it was an open mountain and moorland but I've read it properly it does say novice classes, so yep usually states on schedule snaffle for novice classes.

Thanks everyone.

To clarify the classes I am entering are:

1. Novice ridden, not to have won 3 first under saddle.
    2. Inhand m&m
    3. Ridden m&m

I could always swap novice for best combination or open ridden but he is a novice pony as am I!

So pelham or snaffle in light of the above?

You'll find most if not all will be in pelham/double for generic m&m or open m&m. But locally (& nps) the novice class should be in snaffles.

Dont shove a pelham in just to fit in, i'd prefer to see a pony go nicely in a snaffle than resistant in a pelham 👍
    Native pony addict!

Thanks red! He goes very nicely in his snaffle but has showed in a pelham in the past so could do either!

I'm happy to take him in a snaffle but don't want to look the odd one out as the classes are quite expensive it would be a waste of an entry fee if he is immediately ruled out due to being in a snaffle.

Do none of the higher level ponies wear snaffles in the ring? Just curious as to why Pelhams are the norm in showing?

Its silly isn't it, as a really well schooled horse should be able to go just as nicely in a snaffle, but I suspect its for the judges benefit in classes where they have to ride.
    Since they will be able to show the horse very easily in a Pelham, and not look like fools when they can't get the horse who just did a perfect go round working nicely
    Or perhaps it makes them feel that much safer when riding a strange horse.

Alfie goes just as well in a double as he does snaffle but the snaffle looks much nicer and does offer that little extra when on occasion he gets excitable with a herd of ponies overtaking him.

You'll very rarely find an Open pony in a snaffle but it does happen on occasion. Think I've noticed it once this year?
    Native pony addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Dont shove a pelham in just to fit in, i'd prefer to see a pony go nicely in a snaffle than resistant in a pelham 
    Nice to see someone talking sense for a change!