Thread: Little comp report

Default Little comp report

After 4 months of intensive training the weekend of the regionals finally arrived.
    Spring and his owner (plus my wife as wine drinking buddy) were staying over on the Friday night so with mixed emotions we set off for keysoe. Mixed because on the plus side I have a fantastic horse to ride thanks to his equally fantastic owner but on the downside he tweeked his back 3 weeks earlier which meant schooling has been pretty much a no go area in the run up.
    Keysoe were allowing competitors to school inside the arenas on Friday afternoon so we just had to take advantage of the spook busting opportunity.
    His first look at the arena...

Then finally after 3 weeks a chance to put peddle to metal on the schooling front.

Spring settled in to his stable like an old pro despite it being his first stay away comp so we left him to munch and sleep. I went off home to bed while the grooms (owner and wife) hit the wine.

On to the comp itself.
    We had a warm up class before the regionals class which was also a winter qualifier. Handy as we needed 1 more point to complete winter quals.
    Waiting for the bell

Warm up test was ok apart from one very inconsiderate competitor. To get to the other 2 arenas you have to ride past the A end of arena 1. This someone did just as I was coming towards the A end to make a canter transition. She was so close she could have be cited in divorce proceedings. Very rude as could have held for 10 seconds for me to clear that end. Result in spring being completely distracted, missed our canter transition and when we did get canter was very unbalanced. Cost us quite a few marks. On the plus side we still finished 7th out of around 40 with 67.5% so winter quals complete.

Not sure what went on with this halt.

Only had 25 minutes between warm up test and reg test so a quick drink and carry on.
    As we left the warm up to go to our arena (no 3) I noticed both the other arenas were on breaks. Great, all eyes on us then.
    The test was perhaps not our best. Trot work was OK but our lack of prep in the three weeks prior was showing. Canter work I kinda let him down a bit with washing line reins and bum not quite where it should be half the time (in the saddle).
    A few pics from the test...

Finally score was 65.19. This put us in 9th place so we got a regionals frilly. Section was won on 69.1% so not over generous judging. We could have done better but getting in to the top ten was still a fantastic feeling. Especially as we only started playing dressage in April this year although the commentator announced we had been competing prelim since April 2004. Cant imagine what the spectators thought of this paring that had apparently been at prelim for 10 years.

Only downside from the two days was the lack of mounted prize giving. There was supposed to be an un-mounted prize giving but even this was cancelled so we just pick our rosettes and sheets up off the table like any other comp. Come on keysoe, not a good performance for what is supposed to be one of the major events in the BD calendar.

Huge thanks to spring owner for the opportunity to ride spring but most of all my thanks to spring for just being an awesome horse.
    Now we have a couple of weeks off stressage with a few days spent at the coast for some beach galloping then back to work and out for our first novice

I am always delighted to see your pics and read your reports. Not that I understand why a warm up class is a qualifier? Rather than the reg. (assume this is regional) Or the season for which you must still qualify. But well done that you did it all and have a nice grown up's horse on which to concentrate your skills.
    On the dressage levels I have indeed become a bit wiser, so hope you will post the number of the Novice test which you are riding. It might be an incentive to emulate you on our rotund, eager RS ponies.

I really enjoyed this post. Its written very entertainginly with super photo to match.

I loved the pic with the 4 legged lift off look.

Stunning horse and looks like would do a stunning test minus the inconsiderate rider...hate that thoughtlessness you see all the time at shows.

I'd say, given that you didn't exactly have the best run up, 9th is a pretty good achievement. That said, I know you won't be happy with it as it's not 1st

Pics are great. Shame about daft competitors / genuinely special halts. Don't you think it's time to move on, 10 years is a long time to learn to trot a 20m circle

Quote Originally Posted by Skib View Post
    Not that I understand why a warm up class is a qualifier? Rather than the reg. (assume this is regional) Or the season for which you must still qualify. But well done that you did it all and have a nice grown up's horse on which to concentrate your skills.
    On the dressage levels I have indeed become a bit wiser, so hope you will post the number of the Novice test which you are riding.
    You have to qualify for regionals which are held twice a year. The warm up test counted towards the winter regionals (these were summer). The regionals test itself qualifies for Nationals.
    Test will be Novice 22 on 7th september

Quote Originally Posted by jam14 View Post
    I really enjoyed this post. Its written very entertainginly with super photo to match.

I loved the pic with the 4 legged lift off look.
    Thankyou. Glad you enjoyed it. Spring has a very big canter so getting all four off the floor pics is not difficult. Sitting to his canter is.

Quote Originally Posted by JFTD View Post
    I'd say, given that you didn't exactly have the best run up, 9th is a pretty good achievement. That said, I know you won't be happy with it as it's not 1st

Don't you think it's time to move on, 10 years is a long time to learn to trot a 20m circle
    You are correct. Not satisfied with 9th. Will do better at winters.
    10 years may seem like a long time but I like to get things perfect

Look if you're finding it that difficult, perhaps I can make a suggestion...

now I understand the concept. Thanks.
    Only problem is the fair only visits one a year for 5 days. Doesn't give me much riding

If you lived in London we have a carousel for most of the year now. South Bank all summer and Covent Garden n winter if you're lucky. When my RI first lunged me in canter I told her it was like the roundabout which always goes on the right rein. She was not amused. She was quite cross.
    Seriously David, Novice 22 seems to be all the rage at the moment - Was set for recent riding school competition day at Hickstead - A liberation for me - who had expected to ride Prelim 13 to the end of my days. I look forward to your future comments on getting those two steps trot from counter canter and then striking off on the other lead.