Thread: Showing an 'older' horse

Default Showing an 'older' horse

Just a discussion more than anything as it won't effect anything I do!

I was talking to a friend who shows quite seriously about showing my pony a bit more competitively next year (thinking county type level)
    She was very positive but mentioned that he would be seen as an older horse on the showing circuit as most are very young horses therefore might not be as successful. Her point as that most are shown at a high level as young horses and there aren't as many older ones at the big shows.

I am not sure if I agree or disagree but wondered what you all thought?
    The pony in question is 11, so hopefully still in the prime.

Any opinions welcomed

I find the majority of the fell pony winners are over 10. So I class murph as a baby at 8. Might be different with different types

Default Showing an 'older' horse

11 wont be classed as old in an Open but would most definitely be classes as old if you entered a novice class, so it depends what you want to enter?
    Native pony addict!

What classes would it be? My Hack mare started showing later on in her life (12!) and it was come and go as to whether I got away with novice classes however, once she started going to county / championship level shows she didn't do well and I had badly behaved 4 and 5 yo's placed above me. I could see their point in that education wise she should be in the open classes but she hadn't won enough to warrant them and I'd be putting her against very successful show horses so I couldn't win (literally, lol) in either.

You used to find that most produced horses would retire from showing at about 10 yrs and then go on to do another job, hunting, eventing , dressage etc. Smallhunter is doing Open classes on L as he is already de-noviced at 8.

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    You used to find that most produced horses would retire from showing at about 10 yrs and then go on to do another job, hunting, eventing , dressage etc. Smallhunter is doing Open classes on L as he is already de-noviced at 8.
    Annoying isn't it! Alfie was de-noviced last season as a 6yold
    Native pony addict!

He isn't novice now but would be in the open classes! He should hold his own in them I would have thought but isn't as experienced as some as he has only started showing in later life.
    He was shown very successfully as a younger pony but now is coming back to it as an older pony after 7-8 years out so not novice but isn't as experienced as some of the others.

He isn't purely a show pony, he does everything

my pony is 17 and still wins fell pony classes! Most judges take age into account and look at how good they look for their age, as my horse sometimes looks alot better than younger horses. I took my new forest mare out showing and she ran off in the inhand class! Hopefully you'll do better than me. The 17 year old pony has never came away from a show without a red ribbon, so 11 wouldn't bother me in the slightest

Some of the best horses out there are over 10 years old (normally when they get past 8 though, the producers/riders bend the truth about their age somewhat!!). There is a very famous horse out there showing that is "10" again this year for about the 5th year running!!

Waterford is a successful show cob, and (again depending on where your look) could be anywhere from 17-20 years old. Whatever he is, that is quite impressive. He qualified for HOYS again this year.