Thread: Hacking issue is other 4 leggeds!

Default Hacking issue is other 4 leggeds!

Anyone else find their horse is fine with reasonable traffic on back roads if drivers slow etc but their issue is horses running in fields or herds of cows stampeding to the hedge??

Jeannie hacked like a wee lamb tonight when first time out in new area on her own and only 3rd time on this road. Quite a busy back road for cars at night and vans and cyclists and walkers sometimes with dogs. All she is fine with and wasnt far from home when evil looking huge herd of cows stampeded at the hedge and sent her off on one

Poor wee soul was sweating and jogged a good while afterwards with veins all up

She did settle and was fine with cars etc but those damn cows could be a problem for us as ran at us the last time too

Yes! Toby is pretty safe though, his spooks are generally just a raised head and a snort. If you let him stop for a look he figures it out and then is quite happy to walk past, he's a good boy. Horses don't really bother him though, just cows/sheep.

Pea on the other hand! Snorting jogging sideways if a horse looks at him the wrong way from a field! He's actually better with sheep, and not too bad with cows. He's completely irrational about foals as well, he's more scared of them than adult horses?! He's fine if horses look at him while we're in the outdoor school though, just hacking if they come over to the fence he gets a bee in his bonnet, strange boy! I have cantered sideways down the driveway before because a foal came running to the fence and trotted down it alongside us

I am glad to hear it is not just me and my eejit then!!

If sheep run she will spook but not too bad. If horse runs and she if high stepping and snorting and if cows stampede or more than horses runs at hedge she is off and then knows to stop when asked after a bit but adrenaline makes her plunge!

Doesnt happen alot but she hasnt seen cows hacking in over a year as had off road tracks at previous yard but dont now.