Thread: Starting Natural Horsemanship ?

Default Starting Natural Horsemanship ?

So me and Sky have been using a Dr Cooks bitless bridle for a while now but I'm planning to do riding in a rope halter soon. Sky has been barefoot for a few weeks now and I am planning to buy her a treeless saddle at the end of the year. I don't use spurs or whips either. Even though she is bitless and barefoot I have never done any NH activities with Sky. Sky is part thoroughbred and a typical mare a lot of the time. I am struggling at the moment to slow her down and relax her, she's quite spooky riding and leading on the ground. I just feel like we don't have a good bond at the moment so I have been looking into natural horsemanship methods. I've heard of Parelli, but some people have said that it's cruel. What are people's thoughts on this ? I've also heard of Monty Roberts and the whole join up thing and a few other trainers. I have an instructor coming out next week, she uses clicker training and targeting and positive reinforcement to train her horses and you have to be bitless etc. We are starting on the ground for the first lesson but then will eventually go onto riding. I was just wondering if anyone had any good natural horsemanship activities/training programmes that you recommend ? Thanks

My advice is to watch as many demos and you tube videos as you can from all the different methods, and then pick the one that you and your horse can both work with. Not all methods suit all horses or people. You have to remain open minded to what others have to offer.

If you are employing an instructor, it is silly not to do as that instructor says - Even tho later you may want to question some things - which indeed I myself did. With a neew astudent a teacher may seem more simplistic and less flexible, so as to make it easier and to sort problems.

But apart from that there isnt any need to religiously follow any particular method. As Jobi advises, it is best to watch a lot of trainers at work and read lots too, then pick and choose the things you need for any particular horse.

Parelli style activities pave the way for riding bare back in a rope halter which is what my grand daughter did.
    Kelly Marks and IH, is designed for people who may not have a teacher at hand - pressure halters and join up are a more instant fix for people who cant manage a horse or pony. And there is a network of people to come and give you a session or two of help - which I dont think one can with Parelli.
    But one can learn from Monty Roberts and Kelly Marks without doing join up or buying or using a pressure Dually halter.
    Trainers in the UK who have influenced me a lot are Richard Maxwell and Michael Peace.
    You will have a lovely time looking at the work they do.