Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of a Kissing Spine Surgery

Default Diary of a Kissing Spine Surgery

So Bobby is heading to the vets tomorrow morning for his pre-operation assessment for his Kissing Spine; they'll re-scan his back to see where and how bad it is to decide what surgical approach they'll take on Friday. He'll spend a few days at the vets and then I'll pick him up and take him to his new home at a lovely, quiet private yard for him to recover. He'll spend 6-8 weeks on box rest but until I speak to my vet I'm unsure what the extent of the rehabilitation will be and how long it'll be until I can get back on board, however the main priority is that he has a happy and stress-free recovery!

A bit of background for those who don't know; he's a 8 year old IDxTB who I've had for 5 years. The KS was discovered almost a year ago now when I took him to the vets as he just didn't feel quite right and luckily my vet recognised the symptoms. He's had it injected twice since then so that we could enjoy the summer together, we even managed a successful run around Chatsworth Horse Trials! Anyway, he's been wound down and roughed for the past month or so in preparation for the surgery and box rest with minimal rugs allowed! I'm still unsure as to whether I'm doing the right thing and can't help feeling a little selfish as ultimately I can't imagine not being able to ride and compete him because he's such a good and talented horse but wonder whether I shouldn't be putting him through it, but then again I know that there is a good chance if left untreated that it could deteriorate to the point where he can't escape from the pain of it. I'm looking forward to getting some more insight from the vet tomorrow, I just want him to be okay.

In March after his first set of injections.

At Bishop Burton just before his second set of injections.

And Various other photos!

Good luck for the op/assessment
    My friends horse had KS surgery in May (traditional op) with briliant results. He went in for his op on the Thursday (to be operated on the friday) and we picked him up on the Saturday morning (I think he wanted to stay there as he was being spoilt!). He coped very well on box rest and with the rehab period after (apart from a a bit of bucking when he started canter work on the lunge), he's now back in ridden work and I am sure my friend would say the whole process has been well worth it. He's a lot happier in himself and obviously a lot more happy under saddle.

Best of luck and thanks so much for your advice and encouragement with star.
    I know exactly what you mean by not knowing if you're doing the right thing. I have been struggling with this with star. I am actually going to ring the vets tomorrow to get him accessed.

I think you have absolutely made the right decision. He's a young boy and got years ahead of him. If you didn't go ahead with it you'd be asking what if all the time. The recovery is long but it's very good with KS surgery.
    Please keep us updated, he's one of my favourite TO horses.

Thankyou both

Bobs had the op today and all went well!! The vet said his KS was pretty bad so I feel better about the decision I've made. I can't pick him up until Mon/Tues but I'm going up to see him tomorrow and speak to the Vet.

In other news, Archie has moved to the yard in Bobs' space so with the indoor school proper work can commence!

That's brilliant news, so pleased to hear it all went well and what an honest and lovely horse for being such a good boy even with KS, just shows you what an amazing bond you have. Best of luck with the new boy.

Thankyou for your kind words, he's a special boy and I'd do anything for him! I went to see him today at the Vets to give him a cuddle (even though he hates them!) and feed him a whole bag of carrots! He was a lot chirpier than I expected and his back didn't look as bad either although it was covered up so I couldn't see the actual wound, I just want to bring him home now and spoil him!

Is he in box number 14 at Herds vets, in Halifax there!?

Quote Originally Posted by FayeFriesian View Post
    Is he in box number 14 at Herds vets, in Halifax there!?
    Yep, Tim treated him!

So pleased the surgery went well, I hope his recovery goes smoothly.

Aw - My Jovo was in 13, until Friday who will have been next to him. Tim treated him too, but sadly had to be PTS Friday :-( x

Glad your boy is OK - Tim is a very special vet, I absolutely love him. Good luck with the recovery, and its a shame we didn't bump into each other (in crap circumstances!!) x