Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of a Kissing Spine Surgery

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that, what was he in for? Losing a horse is so difficult.

Tim has been amazing throughout the whole process, I feel very lucky to have such an amazing team of vets so close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's home!! Albeit very sore.

A friend very kindly offered to pick him up in her 3.5tn as the lanes are narrow and don't think my big lorry would get down, and the 3.5tn is a lot easier for him to get in and out of too.

Almost home!

I'd hoped he could have at least a fleece on at night but his back is so tender that I've left him naked. I can't really get my hand anywhere near his back yet because he tenses up and grunts if I get too close to it. He seems okay otherwise though and is walking/moving about well enough, he's not impressed that his feed is full of medicine though! He's on 1 bute and one noradine, twice daily for the time being.

The photos actually make it look better than it is, it's very ugly and sore looking.

Vet is going to pop down after 2 weeks to check up on him and if his back has healed enough, he can start coming out of his box for a bit of a leg stretch!

Bless him that does look sore and swollen, leaving the rug off looks like the best idea. I have a lump on my back and some days just a t shirt touching it is painful so even a fleece would probably be sore for him.

Hope he carries on improving.

My horse's back looked like that after surgery; did they ask you to keep a bandage on? I did, for about a week, changing it twice a day. The concern is not to allow the wound to break down as this will mean more healing time. My horse's back continued to look swollen for a couple of weeks and then there seemed to be a fairly hard swelling that was there for months (his wound was clean though). Some just take a little while longer to settle down.

I took a lot longer than the 4 weeks or so before getting on, but my horse also had other injuries. I would just say take it slowly. There is no race to get back on, and I wanted my horse to have a bit of turnout before I got back on as otherwise a) he would have killed me and b) he had such a bad time of box rest that I wanted him to have a bit of fun before I set about bringing him back into work.

Oh Jesus no, I didn't mean getting back on after the 4 weeks, I wasn't aiming to get back on him until next year.

He did have some dressing on but it came off so one of the vet nurses is popping down tomorrow to re-do it. I asked the vet about changing it and he said no, to be honest I wouldn't want to be messing around with it as its so painful for him at the moment.

How long ago did your pony have the surgery? How is he now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby seems to be feeling a bit better! He let me get a bit closer yesterday to take a photo of the actual incision, and you can also just about see the random staples to the left and right of it where they went in and cut the ligaments.

Still plenty of swelling.

I decided to get him one of those Vitamunch blocks to see if he liked it...He LOVED it and it kept him busy for a couple of hours.

This morning there a was a bit of seepage out of the wound with a mixture of blood and yellow fluid so I cleaned him up, I'm sure it's normal but have text the vets just in case. I gave him his treat ball after I'd mucked out to see what he made of it, I was having so much fun rolling it around that he missed all the treats coming out. I just left him to it.

Handsome pony

My boy had his op over 2 yrs ago. The hard swelling that you can see lasted about 4 months or so with mine. He had his op at the end of summer (I wanted him to have fun being a horse) and then box rested over winter which was so much easier as the other horses were in a lot so I didn't feel bad that he couldn't go out and I didn't have to juggle keeping other horses in etc. it meant I didn't start rehab until march when I let him have a couple of weeks of turnout before I started doing anything. This by no means is the recommended approach however my boy was 13 at the time and he had other issues requiring other operations so it was go slow. His back was not an issue at all. He also dropped all condition at this point so I didn't feel he was ready for me to sit on him until had built some form of topline and I also made sure that he was ridden in a thick sheepskin (saddle adjusted to fit he went from a wide to a narrow )

Two years later you can see the ridge along the spine but there is no sensitivity to touch, saddle etc and he is finally able to really stretch his topline. Good luck with the rehab.

He lost a shoe on his left fore, clenches punctured his right fore causing punture wounds. He had to have a tendon flush, but came out with Myopathy following surgery. They couldnt get on top of the infection, and sadly the Myopathy ment he couldnt barely stand, nor have a 2nd flush under GA. So sad.

You boy looks happy - I guess it needs to look worse before it gets better?? Look forward to seeing him progress.

Tim is an outstanding vet. He saved my yearling (6 months at the time) after a horrific field accident. He gave a 10% chance of surviving, but she came through all thanks to him.

Quote Originally Posted by m22 View Post
    My boy had his op over 2 yrs ago. The hard swelling that you can see lasted about 4 months or so with mine. He had his op at the end of summer (I wanted him to have fun being a horse) and then box rested over winter which was so much easier as the other horses were in a lot so I didn't feel bad that he couldn't go out and I didn't have to juggle keeping other horses in etc. it meant I didn't start rehab until march when I let him have a couple of weeks of turnout before I started doing anything. This by no means is the recommended approach however my boy was 13 at the time and he had other issues requiring other operations so it was go slow. His back was not an issue at all. He also dropped all condition at this point so I didn't feel he was ready for me to sit on him until had built some form of topline and I also made sure that he was ridden in a thick sheepskin (saddle adjusted to fit he went from a wide to a narrow )

Two years later you can see the ridge along the spine but there is no sensitivity to touch, saddle etc and he is finally able to really stretch his topline. Good luck with the rehab.
    Yes I wanted to have the summer with my boy too, just seems nicer them being in when it's colder! Glad to hear that your boy recovered well.

Quote Originally Posted by FayeFriesian View Post
    He lost a shoe on his left fore, clenches punctured his right fore causing punture wounds. He had to have a tendon flush, but came out with Myopathy following surgery. They couldnt get on top of the infection, and sadly the Myopathy ment he couldnt barely stand, nor have a 2nd flush under GA. So sad.

You boy looks happy - I guess it needs to look worse before it gets better?? Look forward to seeing him progress.

Tim is an outstanding vet. He saved my yearling (6 months at the time) after a horrific field accident. He gave a 10% chance of surviving, but she came through all thanks to him.
    Oh that's terrible, it's scary really that something so simple can cause such problems.

Yes he seems okay at the moment, hopefully Tim can come out in the next few days and have a look at it. The weeping has subsided a bit now so I'm hoping it's starting to seal up!

It's now 12 days after surgery.

His back has been very weepy for the past few days, it was only coming from one place along the incision but it was making a real mess of his back! The Vet said that it does happen to a few horses after they've had the surgery so to keep it clean and continue the antibiotics. The following photos were from when it first started spouting blood and fluid, it got a fair bit worse the few days after. I was cleaning it twice a day with just warm water.

I picked up some iodine yesterday on the Vets orders to clean it with every third day, although this morning it looked much better and the little hole seems to have almost healed up. There are a few small lumps that have come up on the shaved part of his back that are probably a reaction to the dried hibiscrub/iodine on his back from the operation, the skin and hair came off leaving a very sore looking patch of skin so I put some udder cream on to dry and dry them up.

I managed to clean off most of the dried stuff but the area around his wound is still a bit too sensitive for me to get it all off, he's much much less sore than he was at first though!

I feel terrible about him not wearing a rug as he's used to being rugged up (even though I did try to rough him up a bit before he went to the vets), I was thinking of finding an old sheet or something and cut a hole in the middle where the incision is so that it doesn't irritate it, do you think it will work?