Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of a Kissing Spine Surgery

It's now 18 days after surgery.

He's a lot happier with me touching his back and it seems to be more itchy than sore, he's been covered in bedding the past couple of mornings so it's nice that he feels comfortable enough to lie down/roll but I'm worried about anything getting in the wound! The weeping has now almost completely subsided and it's scabbing over so I'm only cleaning it when I really need to in case I soften the scab too much and pull it off. I got an extra box of antibiotics at the weekend for him just to be on the safe side while it still hasn't completely healed, once it has I'll get the vet to come and check and then hopefully he can come out of his box for a bit of hand walking!

He's still coping okay with being in but he is rather grumpy, so I'm inventing all sorts of ways to keep him entertained! He's still rugless so he's very dirty and hairy, weird when I'm used to seeing him clipped and rugged up in winter. Anyway, here's some recent photos!

Hairy pony!

He's really doing well, isn't he? Holding his weight and the swelling has really subsided too. When does he have the staples out? Maybe he's grumpy because he is starting to feel better and the boredom is setting in now. I hope his recovery continues to be as good as he's done so far.

He is, he's being so good! I'm not sure about the staples, I guess once the scabbing has gone and it's all healed; the vet says the time varies from horse to horse. I spoke to them today and they want him to stay on the antibiotics until it's completely closed off so I'm popping up to pick them up tomorrow.

I think that's what it is too. He's gets a treat ball every other day, a lick, Vitamunch a couple of times a week and I sprinkle pony nuts or carrots in his hay for him to find throughout the day. A friend has also suggested hanging a turnip from the ceiling! I just hope he comes out of it all okay, I still can't quite get my head around the whole surgery and the face he's had spinal processes out; it's just so unnatural.

That already looks tonnes better. I got forage blocks from feedmark to keep mine amused. He got them every other day. Can you put a radio in his stable or a mirror? Mine was ok being in and I didn't think he would cope at all. The first few walks in hand were interesting. I also clipped grass and put this in a trug for him and used to give him big trugs of hi if lite as he got so bored of hay after a while. We also spent time just sitting in his stable reading etc as he just enjoyed the company.

Quote Originally Posted by m22 View Post
    That already looks tonnes better. I got forage blocks from feedmark to keep mine amused. He got them every other day. Can you put a radio in his stable or a mirror? Mine was ok being in and I didn't think he would cope at all. The first few walks in hand were interesting. I also clipped grass and put this in a trug for him and used to give him big trugs of hi if lite as he got so bored of hay after a while. We also spent time just sitting in his stable reading etc as he just enjoyed the company.
    Thanks for the forage block recommendation; I hadn't heard of them before, seems like a cheaper alternative to the Vitamunch! He's eating the hay okay at the moment, but I could mix in some grass or chop in with it to make it a bit tastier!

You can get the forage blocks from Simple Systems or Halleys. And I guess you've already got a little Vitamunch haynet to put them in......

It's now 22 days after surgery.

I picked up yet another box of antibiotics yesterday so he's still on those, I'm surprised he's still eating it all up in his feed! His back is still healing gradually and there's a nice scab over it now, so as long as he doesn't roll and pull it off I think we're on the way to it closing up.

However, he has come up in a nasty rash. I have no idea what's caused it as nothing has changed, so sent photos to the vets for them to look at. He's still eating/drinking okay and is fine in himself so fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about.

One of mine got this reaction to having antibiotics for 3 weeks (different issue). can you switch the antibiotics?

back looks loads better. The wound looks more settled.

It's now 27 days after surgery.

He's now finished both the bute and antibiotics; there's no more wound seepage and he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable so I haven't put him on anymore. Since he's been off them for the past day or two, his rash has disappeared!

I've pretty much left it alone for the past week, only carefully brushing the bedding off his back each morning. I've cleaned/dabbed it with diluted iodine once just to make sure it stays clean but other that I've left it to it's own thing. The vet is coming out on Friday to check how he's doing so I'm hoping he'll give me the all clear to start hand walking.

Looks like it's starting to heal up nicely . It's odd how vets do things differently though, my friends horse started walking out as soon as he came home stop him getting stiff/reduce swelling.

Hope all goes well with the vet on Friday