Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Affiliated showing?

Default Affiliated showing?

hi guys, I would love to start doing some higher showing classes with my jumping pony. Jumpings not really for me, and he's quite happy not competing to seriosuly with it. I love my dressage, but because Tommy has only been used for jumping he doesn't know the meaning of 'outline' he's a very stubborn pony! He's not got floaty paces, and likes his speed. But however he always does very, very well showing with me as he's got amazing features including a rare straight roman nose, huge tail, and black with no markings at all! I think we could both do very well doing higher showing because he has an amazing high action, however as I've only really been involved with jumping at my old yard and now surronded by dressage at my new one I've not ever heard of affiliated showing. Does it exist? and how would I get there? many thanks

please no rude comments I'm just asking a question thats been puzzling me, you can't blame someone whos only been around jumpers.

Well I would certainly start unaffiliated first! Tip your toe in the water and get a feel for what it's like and judge's comments. Showing is a very precise art, and you need to ensure your tack and turnout is 100%.

Red on the forum does a lot of showing so it might be worth dropping her a PM if she doesn't respond on here.

haha yes we already do unaffliated showing! I'm not going to be 'that' person who buys a 4 yr unbroken tb and expects to get on and go! I was just wondering how you qualify for affiliated? because I can never find anything! x

You don't have to qualify for affiliated. You just join the relevant society and enter.

What would you show your horse as, eg Hunter/Cob/Hack etc...

If you go to the relevant society, you will find descriptions of "type" to help you. If he is a cob/riding horse/hack you will want the BSHA (British Show Horse Association). If he is a hunter you will want SHB(GB) . There are also some good "profiles" here http://theshowring.info/

Once you have decided what "type" your horse is, you can either watch some shows/look in H&H etc to see if your horse fits that type. A really good way to get a valuable opinion without forking out for memberships etc is to see if there are any showing Clinics local to you - Katie Jerram, Alistair Hood, Justine Armstrong Small etc do lots all over the country. They will give you a good opinion on what your horse 'is' and whether its worth taking it further. Another Avenue of course is the SEIB Search for a Star competition. This is a great introduction to higher level showing and you will get lots of help and advice. http://www.search4astar.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by EvinStar View Post
    You don't have to qualify for affiliated. You just join the relevant society and enter.

What would you show your horse as, eg Hunter/Cob/Hack etc...

If you go to the relevant society, you will find descriptions of "type" to help you. If he is a cob/riding horse/hack you will want the BSHA (British Show Horse Association). If he is a hunter you will want SHB(GB) . There are also some good "profiles" here http://theshowring.info/

Once you have decided what "type" your horse is, you can either watch some shows/look in H&H etc to see if your horse fits that type. A really good way to get a valuable opinion without forking out for memberships etc is to see if there are any showing Clinics local to you - Katie Jerram, Alistair Hood, Justine Armstrong Small etc do lots all over the country. They will give you a good opinion on what your horse 'is' and whether its worth taking it further. Another Avenue of course is the SEIB Search for a Star competition. This is a great introduction to higher level showing and you will get lots of help and advice. http://www.search4astar.org.uk/
    Thank you thats great help, I will take a look at the because not really sure what he would come under. He was sold as a cob but obviously not full as he isn't that chunky!

After taking a look at that site the cobs were not what I expected! I thought; mane, feathers and huge legs! But their hogged no feathers and lots have roman noses, Tommy could defianlty fit into this group. Just the outline I've got to work on, got to get ready for reading 10000000 articles on ways to get an outline.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    I'm not going to be 'that' person who buys a 4 yr unbroken tb and expects to get on and go!
    I don't know who 'that' person is?! I don't know anybody like that Certainly not saying you are anything at all. Bizarre.
    Apologies though, didn't see the bit where you already show. Evinstar has given some good advice

Can you not add a picture of your horse? It would make it easier for us to tell what "type" he/she is. Is your horse a hogged, clipped type cob? or hairy? If he/she is hairy then you could join the Traditional Gypsy Cob Association.

Quote Originally Posted by MileAMinute View Post
    I don't know who 'that' person is?! I don't know anybody like that Certainly not saying you are anything at all. Bizarre.
    Apologies though, didn't see the bit where you already show. Evinstar has given some good advice
    no I didn't mean anything by that! I mean you always get those strange people at yards who don't know anything and expect to jump straight into being john whitaker!

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Can you not add a picture of your horse? It would make it easier for us to tell what "type" he/she is. Is your horse a hogged, clipped type cob? or hairy? If he/she is hairy then you could join the Traditional Gypsy Cob Association.
    No he is hogged, no feathers and got the perfect roman nose! I don't do feathers haha, I'll try and attach a photo.tommy jumping show squirrells.jpg