Thread: Anyone here done Prelim 12?

Default Anyone here done Prelim 12?

Had a lesson with another RI who said she found it hard -

I tried it - I like challenges. - But wonder if you have suggestions for moving from walk on a long rein (a 20m circle to B) through to canter before C.
    I've never before done a circle on a long rein. My current horse finds it hard to go on a long rein at any time (too much use in school dressage lessons I guess) so I am teaching him - and the last thing I want is to haul him back and block the forwards energy - which is what I am doing.

I found it nice and straight forward and rides well You just need to pick up the reins and contact quite quickly and then it is quite a fast progression from walk to trot to canter.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I think it's one of the nicer ones. It flows well and because there's lots going on it keeps them listening and you concentrating.

Because I had done so little canter in the school, my lessons had concentrated on that. Putting together lead changes, direct transitions, rein back. Lots of novice and then elem tests. I found that easy. But I learned much of my stuff out hacking and the RS horses too are more used to doing the free walk across the diagonal. So if it is easy please could you describe or list what you do with legs, seat etc and hands as you take up the reins? My RI was asking for canter at the corner, which is sooner than what is in the test. However it still needs 3 transitions, first to a normal walk, then to trot then to canter. I can by contrast easily canter from walk or even when challenged from halt. But no one has ever coached me going through the gaits. I don't even know if I should rise to trot here? Do you rise?

When I say I can't ride it, I mean I can't do it to my own satisfaction.

Just work on gathering up and into trot by M and then sit and ask for your canter , a tiny bit early isn't going to lose too many marks.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Legs on to start to collect the walk from a free rein, especially the inside leg to keep the bend. Then start to gather ther reins up so that you are in medium walk when you get to E. I would start putting my leg on to collect quite soon after X so that I have plenty of time to get everything organised before E. As soon as I pass E I'll be thinking about my trot transition. Making sure he's soft in my inside hand and secure in the outside hand and accepting my legs, again especially the inside leg. Then I'll allow him forward to trot at M, mainly from my seat but I do allow slightly forwards with my hands (not necessarily a good idea as it can drop them on their forehands, but Xaile likes it as it makes it totally clear to him what I want). Then after M I'll increase my inside bend slightly, again inside leg to outside hand and take up sitting trot. On the corner I lift my inside hip, outside leg gently back to canter. As soon as we're cantering inside leg on to lift the canter and keep the bend and softness. Hope that helps.

I do hundreds of transitions when schooling to keep him listening and thinking and light. And so this shouldn't be too much of a challenge in a test. But because Xaile and I get horribly tense in a test none of it really works like this.... But it works every time at home. Ah well.

OEH thank you so much for taking the time. I will print that out and try that. I note what you say about riding hundreds of transitions. I like to do this too and I now have the idea that, as well as just riding walk trot transitions, going large in warm up, I will add free walk into the mix, and then add canter too. So he and I will drill it until it gets very familiar. Last week it was completely new to both of us. He is a very bright youngish horse and he remembers stuff well.

I sympathise with the difference between schooling and getting tense in a test. I dont compete, but I have been useless in riding lessons. But I get on well with precise instructions like you have given me - and have confidence it will work. Thank you. I like what you say about your riding - I havent yet completely worked out how to be light and forward and allowing, yet at the same time keep horses listening to me in dressage tests rather than thinking other stuff, even if it is anticipating.

Also loads of transitions within the paces helps with the listening too. And half transitions where you almost do it but don't are brilliant.

Big thank you OEH and others. For the riding lesson. There was a bit of a break as we had gusty windy weather and RI didnt want me to ask him to go with his head low - as might heighten his anxiety and have me fall off again.
    But I thought about it for all that time and this week, we did a lot of walking across the diagonal and then the circle and he sort of knew went into trot and canter just fine, doing what you said and taking up the reins very carefully. Made it all seem simple, as someone here posted in the days when I couldnt do it. Very grateful to you all.