Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grumpy weanling. Any ideas?

She is able to be turned out in the arena with another horse, we just have no winter grazing as the fields are flooded. Odie never suffered any ill effects from being stabled every winter, he was polite and mannerly, and always behaved. He had daily turnout in the arena.

I didnt ask for advice regarding wether or not i should keep a youngster, ive had many, just not one this grumpy. They all have to be stabled at somepoint, so why not when they are young and become accustomed to it rather than bringing a 3 or 4 year old into a stable and expecting it to behave. I do believe hats why a lot of horses have issues being stabled. They were not accustomed to it when young and cant understand why all of a sudden they have to stay in.

Thank tou Madlady, i suspect its a heirachy thing as well. She will learn given time. She already is picking up her feet in prep for farrier on saturday and is leading well within the 11 days ive owned her.

Quote Originally Posted by LesleyLawless View Post
    Thank tou Madlady, i suspect its a heirachy thing as well. She will learn given time. She already is picking up her feet in prep for farrier on saturday and is leading well within the 11 days ive owned her.
    She'll get there - they all do eventually don't they She might just be what I call the 'make me' type? I will always ask mine nicely to do whatever I need them to do, if they don't listen then the next request is more forcefull, and so on. The little Sec D filly I mentioned in my previous post would never ever listen to a first request, she always had to face pull and refuse, at which point I'd growl and make a noise and she would then very sweetly do what she'd been asked - she was such a madam but such a personality

You asked what we thought and we told you. You aren't always going to get responses you want or that correlate what you thought all of the time.

It is a forum after all. Everyone has their own way of doing things and own opinions.

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

I asked for ideas on how to handle or approach the problem, not on wether she needed turnout or not.

Actually, I wouldn't turn her out until you get her respect.

I picked my filly up 2 weeks ago, turned her out, tried to catch her and she was so timid she jumped the fence and is now on box rest with a bad injury to her back leg. I wish I had listened to my instincts as the last weanling I had was just as shy but I kept her in for a couple of weeks until she could catch, lead etc before turning her out and I wish I had done that this time.

Now she's on box rest she's so much more improved. She isn't "nasty" like yours is, just timid. You do need to nip this in the bud though, but I know you know that . My filly has really responded to being groomed and every time she lets me touch a different part of her she gets rewarded, by the end of the session I can brush her whole legs and lift the fronts.

Is there someone else that can hold her? Sounds like she's come a long way in 11 days though - it can take a long time to get the feet established so I think you're doing well.

ETA - i'm not being rude by saying "nasty", but there's a difference between the foal's who throw faces and bite and those who hide in a corner, that's what I meant.

She was vastly improved last night. Picked out all four feet, had her first tetanus jab and had a rug on for fitting. She was fab. No grumpy faces either.

Now we need pics!

We have a weakling at work who is in a stable with a yearling. We only weaned 2 days ago and mum is out in the field. Is there a pony she could share a stable with?
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Shes fine now tbt, seemed to have been a combination of lack of handling and the abrupt weaning, shes chilled out and happy in her routine and happy to be groomed and touched all over. She was perfect for the farrier a few weeks ago too.