Thread: Saddlery articles that may be of interest to some of you

Default Saddlery articles that may be of interest to some of you

Traditional Working Saddler Est 1988
    Designer of the Locata - Horse ID tag that attaches to your saddle as found on [url]www.unicornleather.co.uk[/url]

Thanks for that - some really interesting articles on there

This could be a whole new debate but, as a saddler what are your views on treeless saddles?

Thank you for posting the links, like ml some very interesting articles on there.

Quote Originally Posted by madlady View Post
    Thanks for that - some really interesting articles on there

This could be a whole new debate but, as a saddler what are your views on treeless saddles?
    Many years ago when they were first starting to appear a German company (can't remember the name as it was back in the early 90's) was advertising them and looking for retailers/sellers/fitters in the UK.
    So, I contacted them and I wanted to know how the pressure was kept up off the horse's spinal vertebrae. They went all round the houses trying to blind me with science BUT could not give me a straight anwswer.

I have also stripped down one and was appalled at it's amateurish construction. The girth straps were merely held on by something resembling thick lorry cover and could easily have come adrift if the two 2 rivets through it had broken, needless to say I was not impressed.
    I feel newer designs are probably better and I do believe there is a need for treeless if they are made to be safe, not like the example I saw (no it wasn't a cheap Indian copy)
    Today's equines vary so much, gone are the days for withered type horses to be the main riding type, treed saddles fitted the blood types with withers as the trees were designed for these type of animals.
    Now we have people riding flat backed cobs,heavies and Natives which when the wooden trees were designed would have been used as draught animals and no need for a tree to suit that type of horse if they were ridden it was usually bareback.
    Saddle tree manufacturers take a long time to catch up, hence the need for treeless.
    Also, people seem to be more clued up now on fitting their own saddle/s some better than others it seems and I regularly see numerous (remedial) pads, saddlecloths and numnahs shoved under saddles it's no wonder they can't get it to fit.
    A well made , fitted and flocked saddle does not need a thick pad, it can alter the fitting too much.
    They then decide to go treeless as nothing fits!
    Oz
    Designer of the Locata - Horse ID tag that attaches to your saddle as found on [url]www.unicornleather.co.uk[/url]

Thanks for such a comprehensive and honest response

I've been having various 'discussions' with saddlers local to me for the last 6 or 7 years - those discussions have either been along the lines of a) I don't know what I'm talking about and I should never put a treeless saddle anywhere near a horse or b) I don't know what I'm talking about and I should never use anything BUT treeless.

I've been riding treeless a number of years now and haven't had any issues with either saddle or horses backs. I changed to treeless because I couldn't find a saddle that my girl was happy and comfortable in - she is a friesian - I managed to find a couple of treed saddles that were a very good fit over her back but had issues with them restricting her shoulder so eventually gave up and went treeless.

I would have loved to have had a nice treed saddle but it just wasn't to be - maybe one day

Very informative articles, thank you.

I've just had a saddle made to measure for my boy, and was reassured to read that my saddler has done everything correctly according to your article...

I will definitely be putting in an order for some leathercare products!

It's suddenly gone mad, have had 3 people buy my leather conditioner in the last few days, I had to make a new batch as I'd run out!
    Oz