Thread: ID Breeding & Bone

Default ID Breeding & Bone

If an ISH horse was stallioned by ID with 21cm of bone, and all stallion side were ID, but dam was ISH Sec A (all dams stallions were ID, and dams ISH Sec A) would you think youngster would end up with much bone? Not got big draft head and hasn't got a lot of bone at the mo, but big feet. Just turned 4.

It's hard to say really without photos, but you'd think as there's a lot of ID in breeding he/she should have a fair amount.

My boy is all ID on Sire's side and all TB on Dam's side. He's got big feet, a draughty head but not a massive amount of bone.

Are you wanting a horse with a lot of bone, or no?

I don't want a lot of bone, but I don't want skinny legs. I guess the better question would be if by 4, he will have developed most of his bone?

Ah I see what you're asking. I think their bone will be pretty much developed by 4 years, or at least won't change a significant amount.

I thought so too, I'm just a bit uneducated in terms of breeding and development.

Mine have put bone down up to being 6 - I measure Daegs and Freyja last year and they came up at 8.5 and 9 inches respectively. At the weekend Daegan came up at 10.5 inches and Freyja at 10. They are both rising 6

What breeding are they madlady please?

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    What breeding are they madlady please?
    Both friesians