Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: King and Odin

We had an emotional weekend at camp this weekend. Broke down on the way there (police were blumin' useless - always dial 999 with horses on is the lesson, not 101!) Which resulted in them being on board for about 3hrs, over half of which they weren't moving at all for.

This resulted in a very stiff Kingy-bear I think being stood so much in the cold made his arthritis flare up. He's having a few gentle days and a treatment, then hopefully be back up and running.

We got a couple of lovely photos while we were there - nice to have some good memories of a v stressful weekend! Oh, and we got a 7 for out free walk - he needs to be exhausted more often!!!

Plan is to work on flatwork over winter and improve his strength, but will take it one day at a time and see how we go.

Wee while since I update this.

King has had a relatively gentle winter - new hours I needed to get used to plus camp made it necessary. He really traumatised his brain at camp and its taken a long time to get us both back up and running again.

http://www.trotonline.co.uk%2Fforum%...2&share_type=t
    Got my mojo back!

Odin today had a bit in for the first time. I'd like to get him to a few shows this year so had a play - it just felt like the right day he's a dude!

Took king out to a competition for the area 6 riding club liaison trophy. We did p7.

I think if I'd had a but longer to warm up and realised it was on grass all would have been fine. He's still very green out competing and just needed longer to work in.

I didn't feel the test was horrendous tbh, he settled once in the boards, and we did a pretty accurate test, with a few rider errors ( wrong leg strike off in canter, and a change or 2 towards the end as he was tense) but I felt it was very harshly marked. We can away with 44.25% and 46th place.

Considering this was supposed to be a fun competition to encourage people to compete I was disappointed with the scoring. I was not encouraged and had v little to work on, beyond knowing I need to get him out more.

Pictures proved it wasn't all horrendous
    There's a few mixed in here (2 rings) - I'd like to buy another but not sure which, provably the canter one on the left rein?
    http://www.waynejonesphotography.com/wj19763

Test sheet...

Onwards and upwards. Have joined BD to have a go at team quest

Odin is being gorgeous as always. He gave us a wonderful display of his potential this week - boy is he FAST!

Working on a master plan for pony transport too, so watch this space

He looks stunning in the photos! I experienced a similar thing with my King last summer, where is was our first ever competition at a very low key unaffiliated 70cm and I was marked down for pretty much everything with not one positive comment. So I know how you feel. It's a shame when it's like that

They are both looking really well though! Looking forward to more updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King and I had a little jump lesson yesterday. Pushed myself over a grid and all went very well. Although the fences aren't huge, they are definitely jump, and I did it all canter

My friend took video but unfortunately I can't share
    Have a photo though!

Odin also went for a walk. He's 15.1 now and chunking out nicely - not so much of a baby anymore!

Bought him an in hand bridle this week, would love to get him to a show or 2 over the summer but think I will struggle transport wise

Managed to get King out to a little clear round the other week. My OH doesn't come out with us much, but my new hours mean we don't get to spend much time together so he came. He can't believe the difference in kings attitude out and about - he's such a dude!

We only did teeny fences, but its the first proper course I've EVER jumped (in 16yrs!) So still a big deal. He was fabulously well behaved and went away from his travel buddy without a peep to go in the ring - so proud! We had 1 little wobble at a skinny which he had down, but mostly my fault - and now we know to practice skinnies!

I get very nervous over fences and in open spaces, so all a big deal for me. We're trying a new head setup for him too and it seems to be working!

Then, 2 days later he scared the jeebus out of me and got colic. Never had to deal with colic ever, and had a virtually dead phone! Vet popped out, gave him some buscopan and said he'd basically over eaten.

Feeling very sorry for himself.

So he's now on the same routine as my friends lami prone highlands and coming in during the day. He's lost a chunk of weight, which has done him good, and is much happier - I think his feet have been bothering him with the sugary grass, and he's a million times happier at the front now (he's on a virtually sugar free diet the rest of the time!)

Had a couple of gentle rides last week and then wound up doing a massively long hack with my friends on the Sunday (inadvertently). He was fabulous - the most responsive he's ever been and feeling very confident in himself. Found a couple of little fences and had a play too

Taking him off xc schooling tonight, playing around the schooling area set up by the people who used to run mattingley ODE.

Love my boys. Odin is just in the field growing and being generally cute!

Oh, and we're booked to ride in the queens back garden next weekend! Windsor sponsored ride - can't wait!!!

We made it XC schooling super brave in a snaffle too and he wasn't too strong, most of the time! He goes through a phase about 30mins in where he thinks he knows where he's going and what's happening next. This takes about 10mins for me to get on top of, but unfortunately tends to be about when I've got my confidence up.

We didn't manage a massive number of jumps, but I am pleased with what we did. Lots of steps, a sunken road, a brush fence and a few logs. Felt happy enough to let him gallop (even if he whinnied the entire length!) For a minute or 2 and he came back to me. Next time will try out the doubles.

For me, its all about confidence and good experiences so to be starting off not far behind where I finished last year is a very good thing

A few piccies - I know my position leaves something to be desired, I don't need it restating

Coming out the sunken road

Clever bear