Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King and Odin

Thanks TT. I know they're not big but for us is about getting out and doing these things calmly I'm immensely proud of my boy

Busy weekend this has been!!

This morning OH and I went to visit Odie and try and do some leading work he is always fairly pleased to see us. He seems much happier in his new rug and let us out his headcollar on and do some work. I can also pick up all 4 feet

I love this. OH looks so happy, as does Odie. He was heading for his mum and changed course and headed for me

Then headed over to the yard to see big Beastie and went for a lovely hack with YO and my friend. He was a gentleman as ever these days

I'm really pleased with how he's looking too. Holding his weight really well now after dropping off a little in Jan.

So last weekend we headed out to the woods for a trip to what my yo describes as "mane grab hill". Had a lovely ride, even though it rained!

Before and after

We were out 2hrs and I was wet to my pants when I got home!!! Was a lovely day though.

Then got a text Tues morning to say king wasn't right coming out the stable, so my friend had put him back in and skipped him out as she didn't want to put him out. Cue me panicking, left work early to stock up on food and haylage (I usually give him so lower sugar haulage if he's in, he gets bored of hay otherwise). He had heat everywhere, so I hosed for a bit to try and work out what was heat and what was from being stood around. He was a doll as usual

Came to the conclusion it was most likely an abscess. Poulticed overnight and had a friends farrier look at him the next day, cue pus and ick coming from a small split in his sole. I reckon he hit a stone at speed at the weekend and it did this - his soles get thinner when its this wet

This has led to a few days of him being in (I can't be doing with worrying about his poultice in the mud) and very early starts for me! Luckily he's been very good, until yesterday when he poltiely informed he'd had enough by trashing his poultice and stable. Today he went out and charged about all day apparently, so for tomorrow I've improvised a plastic sole (shoe is still on as is OK with where it is)

I'm feeling a little melancholy however as we had been offered a lift to dressage next weekend, and now I'm not sure he'll be able to go

On another note, I went to see Mr Odin on the way home yesterday and he was very sweet. Starting to get the hang of 'walk on'. And while he hasn't frown, he's put on a bit of weight

I somehow don't think he'll be hard to bombproof. He's totally unfussed by stuff compared to his 2 half brothers!

Since our hack he's King hasn't really done very much he's had an abscess for most of the time, so I've been poulticing. My friend offered to take me to an unaff dressage today with her daughter a few weeks ago, so I took the gamble and entered. Have kept his foot wrapped up to stop any mishaps and off we went.

He travelled well, in a new trailer, (yay!) And unloaded quite calmly. We'd entered intro b and p7. Slightly rushed to tack up so he wasn't left without travel buddy, which failed as she had to go. He actually coped remarkably well. Got on and went to the warm up where I tried hard not to overcook him!

Intro went well, bit vocal in places but all in all a nice test for 64 and some percent. He came 5th! our first ever dressage frilly!!

Popped back to the trailer for a breather then went down for my prelim. He felt great in the warmup - I added spurs just so I didn't need too much leg - and was going beautifully. Got in the test and kicked a couple of boards and was a little stiff but OK. Then canter happened struck off wrong, threw his head around and generally just wouldn't let me ride him. Which really bugged me and put me off a little for the rest of the test. Got through it but I wasn't brilliant so I'm a little disappointed - although our 54% wasn't that far off. We left before the prize giving.

I popped back in the warm up to do some canter work so he wasn't getting off, and he was foot perfect! Really bizarre. But its one of our first trips ever, so I'm still learning what to do in the warmups - evidently more canter work was needed.

But all things considered I'm pretty chuffed he behaved all day, if a little noisily - and was giving Hattie the evils when we bumped into her and Clava! Bad Kingy!

Warm up

Test (intro)

My friend and I - yes her made was in season!

2nd test - it went a little wrong

Coming out after we did a little extra work

With his rosette!

He's now very tired and tucked up in bed with a big dinner and some haylage as a treat. He was a good boy all day really

Off to see little man tomorrow with the mother's!

Well done and lovely to see you both there

Hattie and I had a good test and a not so good one too and it turned into a long cold day and not leaving until the very end at 5ish.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

My first judge seemed lovely. I know the 2nd of old (used to be on her yard as a young teen) and she's always been hard.

Got my first sheet back off my friend today

Some really nice comments, and pleased with 2 7's in the collectives. Is underlining I'm the collectives positive or negative? I'm never sure!

Will post the prelim sheet when I get it might have some more photos later too

Who was the second judge?
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

One of the RC ladies clava. I got my sheet back, and it just has CANTER!! next to to paces

And one more pic from last weekend, hopefully we're headed back to sparsholt next weekend, just to do a prelim

Anyway, today we should've had a lesson but RI had a migraine. So instead we decided to have a group session in the school over fences. I have a massive issue with staying inside my comfort zone when it comes to fences, hence the plan to have a lesson. So I decided to try and push myself. My aim was to jump the barrels and do the canter poles (up at alternate ends) and...

(this was a double too, something else I struggle with!)

He went through a phase last summer of stopping, I suspect because he was over jumped when I was at uni - but I'm pleased to say after a quiet winter with lots of pole work, he's back to himself!!

Somehow that's the only jumping PIC from today, but he had the farrier this morning, then decided he did NOT want to come in.

He's a spanner.

Oh, and my OH got chucked on my friends pony yesterday he actually really enjoyed it, and isn't awful either!!

Hopefully with get over to see Odie next week. Going to ask YO if he can come to my yard for summer when they're out 24/7 so I can work with him, then find somewhere with lots of grass for next winter.

I got a few better pics of dad last week though

Gosh, a lot has happened since I last updated.

I went back to sparsholt to do another prelim, in the howling gales and rain we had at the end of march. He was much better, and canter was more successful no photos sadly as my friend and I were both competing.

2 weeks ago we went to a lesson with the local RC and tried xc, something neither of us have done apart from a few fences on a sponsored ride last year, so this was brave pants time. He was fab. Jumped everything and felt safe - cantered through the water too
    Before

With his giant friend

Water

The biggest thing we jumped all day - quite an achievement for us

I discovered his back was a little sore after this so we had a quiet week and the saddle fitter out on Friday - she says he looks a lot better and has adjusted a few bits for me.

Sunday, we went to frensham sponsored ride, and I think its safe to say we had an absolute blast. Galloped plenty, jumped a fair amount and generally had a great morning. We also achieved some firsts - steps which neither of us have done, and a ditch!! A horse that wouldn't even walk over a stream in a little dent a few years back jumped a ditch! It may not have been graceful on my behalf, but we blooming well did it! no photos sadly - I wish they would do the photographers later on and/or with smaller/less scary jumps!
    A few of the views

OK, so I think that's king up to date will do Odin in the next post

So, Odin has come home - he moved on Saturday. And proved himself to be very clever, quite stubborn an to have a wonderful nature all in one go.

Travelled a little hot but came off fine. Spent sat and sun am on his own, and has now been introduced to my friends mare and foal. He's getting quieter as time goes on and is showing the sweetest nature possible. I'm so pleased!

Unfortunately mare has chased him a couple of time, but he managed to demonstrate his parental jumping skills by going over the tape in style (I know not to be encouraged, but I wish I had been filming!!)

He's on a steep learning curve, having never had to leave the field or see surfaces other than dirt. He's now done trailer, new field, school and concrete with a little leading in the process.

His feet are going to be sorted on Friday, thank goodness!

Introducing my boys

Meeting and greeting

Our first leading session

Little rug I got hold of cheap - I have a fly rug to take in too!

And him and I together

And flat out today with my friends'

I am totally smitten with him, he's such a sweetie