Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King and Odin

Gosh those last 2 pics are so sweet - is that your dog in there too? Fab updates, nice to hear about them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly the dog is not mine. She's very cuddly though, spends a huge amount of time in my jumper!

This week we've been working on people skills. He has been leading a little - we can now get to and from the field without our friends or bribery! And he is learning about different surfaces. Having only been on grass/dirt since 6 weeks old, he's learning fast. Tonights success was getting him on the concrete first time and then walking over the rubber mats.

Last night, we went in a stable (OK, for an empty bucket, but hey!)

Today, Odie had his first farrier visit. He coped remarkably well, and his feeties now look a lot lot better! Farrier only had one little fight, and then he was as good as gold

He had a good long brush and OH came to visit (he's and indoor hooman!)

Mr king is also doing very well, and looking fab - they went out 24/7 last week, and he's had a few days off this week as I acclimatise to 2. He's a happy chappy. Had his rear shoes set back a little to save a bit of toe dragging until the chiro is coming next month

My last few weeks have been busy

A bit of this

A lot of this

And not least, a reasonable amount of this

We have another xc lesson booked in June, and a flat lesson on Friday

Best of all, WE'RE OF TO PONY CAMP!!! I never did PC camp as a kid, but my Fab friend had offered to take us to RC camp in July, so we're off for xc with Warren lampard, gallops work and sj excited much!!

Aw, I can't see your photos. Its weird I'm having this issue with a few posters and not others!

Have fun at the camp, camps are the best

It may be those of us posting from tapatalk maybe? I don't have a PC at the mo so no other option sadly

Well. We've been pretty busy since all this - Odin has settled well and is now part of a bigger herd! He's been gelded and in a herd of mares and the 1 other filly. Happy chappy!

He had his second lot of jabs today and my YO had the trailer out, so he was very grown up!

He's missing various chunks of face for reasons I have no idea about but they don't bother him. The vet said he was lovely and he was impeccably well behaved, again! I'm very excited about him, I think he'll be cracking he's dropped a little weight recently - darned growth spurts. I must trust myself when I know feeding him is the right thing to do!

King and I are getting ready to go to camp with the RC in a week or two. Um super excited, as I never did pony camp as a kid.

We've been going xc for practice, and he saw a mctimoney lady a few weeks ago. He feels fabulous now, and I feel very guilty for not having him seen before! Here is a selection of pics (be nice, jumping is not something I'm even remotely talented at, but it no longer makes me want to vomit!

We also have been doing a bit of schooling and a Lot of hacking.

I've had king 8yrs this month - crazy! Finally cracking on with the help of my wonderful yardies!

Another quick update.

King and I have been to camp, and loved it. No exciting photos as we were both riding (or being rained on!) At the same time. But needless to say we had a great time, and have come away feeling super confident. There was a photographer so hopefully there will be some pics when they go online.

We did XC, gallops, more xc and sj. He was Fab all weekend and we got pushed out of our comfort zone a lot!

On the back of this we went xc schooling with Warren Lamperd yesterday. He taught us at camp so we decided to have another session. Wound up jumping stuff I've previously refused to go near, most notably a red boat (about 80cm) coming up out of the water
    Warming up

Wouldn't jump this before... Confidence is increasing!

I wouldn't jump this last time...

This time I went over this!

AND! I left smiling!

Have some good exercises to work on at home regarding power, something we struggle with into the fence (I've spent too long bottling it up because of my confidence I now need to learn how to wind him up!).

I'm so pleased with our progress. I keep getting things pop up on timehop about things I was proud of 1-2yrs ago. A teeny log, cantering in a field. We're leaps and bounds beyond that now very proud of us both!

Odin is being gorgeous as usual. He's become a complete mummies boy the last week or so. There was a group of them out poo picking and he stayed right on the edge (all the other horses were 'helping') until I came out when he glued himself to me

He feel asleep on OH yesterday too

Planning a hunter trial with King in September and a dressage camp in October

Tonight we had a jumping lesson at the yard. YO bought some new fences so we had a group lesson

I used to be so paralysed by fear riding in an open field, tonight we jumped a course, with a mixture of fences - including a gate, filler and planks. My horse is awesome

No photos sadly as everyone was riding but this was kings opinion!

Odin is now a little over 10m. He's going through a faze of breaking away from the tie up at the moment, but hopefully he'll get bored of that soon!

So today was the day. We attempted our first ever hunter trial. Entered the 60cm class. On walking the course last night there were a lot of things we've done before but all moved, and a lot of new stuff - its the place we go schooling for lessons but this was a big step up!

Thus was the course
    1 shared with the 40cm course

3 into the next field to this, then onto the water at 4

5a up the bank, b down to the train

6 the shark teeth

7 5 strides to a small corner

Down the hill to 8 the house thing

Through to the next field, over a bridge! And onto 9 the tyres

10 the roll top

11 the barrels

12 was run into the water swing round to 13a run out. B was the treasure chest

Through a gap in the trees, and tight right turn to 14 the poop myself fence. A very square wide table dressed as a hay wagon

Straight onto 15 the white thing

Through a gap turn left through the field. Turn left into the next field, over the tiny ditch then onto the a-frame at 16a-b

17a-b 2 house with 2 strides

Swing right up the hill to 18 the chair

And then down the hill onto the home straight with just the flower tray for 19 - don't forget to go through the finish!

I spent a lot of last night worrying, in particular about the hay wagon.

We warmed up well, noisy but sweet. He kept the first fence which made me crack on and ride. d 2 better but didn't want to listen. Spooked at the timer then climbed over the next fence. Went straight into the water then up the bank - told myself to kick and look up and he stopped. Came around again, got the same response. Really kicked myself up the bum and came again and got over it (not elegantly!). Over the sharks teeth, stopped at the corner for look, just first time next time round, and quite well. Just the little house but not neatly! Then wouldn't go near the bridge - had a discussion and finally went. The lack of rhythm meant I didn't ride at the tyres and we stopped again, but again represented and he flew. Climbed over the roll top and barrels (where my RI was, typical!) Then had a wee look at the water before going straight in. Cantered out and felt I rode well but he ducked out the side which is a shame. But still, jumped it nicely 2nd time around. On to the hay wagon. Rode positively but took some persuasion to get close enough. Turned him away came at it again and he flew it - sadly, so did I as we parted company 2 strides later I need to look up!!

So there our hunter trials ended. I got back on a rode back, jumped a couple in the warm up. Now have a very sore hip/bum and nice bruise coming up!! OH took some photos (poor thing, first time he comes to watch and I go splat right in front of him!) So will sort those after a bath.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. He showed his greenness, as did I - neither of us has ever done anything jumping except in lessons or at home, and until march had never been xc at all. It was a big ask for his first course, and it wasn't his fault I came off. Still, got a cracking photo from the pro tog over the fence so much scope!

Going to get him hacking solo more to improve our confidence and hopefully keep going! Just started to enjoy jumping so hoping it hasn't knocked me! Really annoyed I didn't complete as this was the last of the questions and we could've just cantered home from there! But never mind, next time

We did it! Today we went back to the above course and manager do to do really well. I'm so pleased.

Managed to get over the demon fence after much "I don't want to go near it". Jumped the 70/80 fences around it, and then managed to get over it. RI agreed the hay cart wasn't a 60 fence and that they were particularly mean!

He was foot perfect today. Took me a while to get a foot up my butt and ride, but once I did he was cracking. Sadly it took me so long to start riding we only had about 15 mins of nice before he was tired. He starts to get very deep to the fence and neither of us enjoy that. But we certainly managed to jump a lot more, and a lot more competently than we have been known to!!

He's being clipped Tuesday, then off to dressage camp at boomerang next weekend which should be fun

Odin has now moved in with the boys and is loving it. He's much more integrated with their herd than the girls already. He's 1 next weekend!! Can't believe it!

My 2 boys

And a random selection from Odie moving fields on Monday!