Thread: Feeding a young warmblood

Default Feeding a young warmblood

Odin is a 7 and a bit month old KWPNx. My vet mentioned last week when he came out to geld him that you have to be careful with growth rates etc in warmbloods to reduce risk of OCD et al.

Does anyone have any recommendations? He's currently on ready mash extra (mostly to help with the weaning process), stud cubes (which I want to change but have too much left to chuck!) And simple systems green gold, which again I'm not wild about.

Thanks!

Gratuitous pic of the wee man a few weeks ago he's a dude!

Awwwwwww

Ghost was on Youngstock Balancer and chaff + speedibeet in winter + grazing all year round and ad lib hay.

She did have suspected OCD in right hock, but luckily it turned out to be a false alarm.

Oh bless a lovely woolly baby

I've always just fed my youngsters a balancer and ad lib forage. They sometimes had sugarbeet or grass nuts over winter but only when weather was too bad for them to get out.

I think I'm going to give pure feeds a go, just to make life easier. She just replied to say its got the ratios I want in it, too. Will report back

Thanks

I'm planning on dodson and horrell suregrow for my shire bubba when she arrives - totally paranoid about ocd!!

I'm trying the pure first, then will try suregrow if I'm not happy

Any suggestions what to do with the stud cubes? Seems a waste to throw them!