Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetlee did his second ever show...

Default Jetlee did his second ever show...

So I went to the local NESHPES show on the 18th April with my highland. This is only his 2nd show and 3rd outing in his life so I entered him in just two classes, condition and turnout and 4 y.o gelding and up (he is a 4 y.o gelding) so off we went he loaded fantastically, travelled really well and bar being a bit shouty settled down at the show quite well. We had condition and turnout first, and he was very well behaved. A couple of little wriggles as we were pulled last in the first instance I had space to walk him when he stopped standing.
    The judge had a look at him, and checked his tack etc etc and then we did a little trot up. It was all nice and non pressure for Jetters. He was very good and yay we got 1st. I am really pleased that he was the best turned out and condition in the ring as I have been keeping his weight down and it was nice to see the judge reflect that.

Then we went into the 4 y.o gelding and up class and suddenly I realise I was totally outclassed, all the other horses had better manes, more muscle (more mature really) and I realised it wasn't to be the day for 2 red rozzers He was pulled last in the first instance, then we moved up to 4th after the trot up. We lost a bit of pizazz in this trot up and he didn't fire off like he did the last time. Any advice for this I have never had a horse that goes flat...

A few pics

Our wee lap of honour

With both his rozzers

Very proud of him, his behaviour etc was really fantastic. Such a clever boy!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Well done both on behaving so well and his rosettes, you both look very smart.
    Are Highlands shown with full manes or like Welsh D's?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Well done both on behaving so well and his rosettes, you both look very smart.
    Are Highlands shown with full manes or like Welsh D's?
    Full manes. His just hasn't come in fantastically yet. When I bought him it was short he was kept with cows so I presume they chewed it! I hope that come the next couple of years he will have a mane like Minstrel used to have And thank you, I am very proud of him considering much of last year was spent on 2 legs protesting...

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.

Well done!
    Cant help with the going flat other than maybe feeding him something to brighten him up? Or something like oxyshot on the day after first class? Im guessing hes quite fit?
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by TurnBackTime View Post
    Well done!
    Cant help with the going flat other than maybe feeding him something to brighten him up? Or something like oxyshot on the day after first class? Im guessing hes quite fit?
    He is as fit as a 4 y.o just under saddle can be. He trots under saddle quite well for a few circles. He does get het up easily but then at the same time seems very laid back too I am used to hotter horses. Maybe I should spend time giving him a good wake up before going in??

Wouldn't hurt! Worth a try at the least!
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by TurnBackTime View Post
    Wouldn't hurt! Worth a try at the least!
    Might take a schooling stick and give him a little flick if he is backwards before I go in then change for cane on going in! Considering how much we have done with him in 11 months though he is a wonderful pony. Going from very little handling to full on

Well done for your results, Jetlee is certainly looking very healthy and shiny. I think it can only be expected that in a 4yo and up class that the youngsters of the group don't quite match up to the horses that have had a few more years to mature When's your next outing?

I thought I'd remembered that they had full manes.
    J's a HW traditional and came with a sort of pulled mane, in the 15 months I've had him it's now grown a lot but I'm really struggling keeping it tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Well done for your results, Jetlee is certainly looking very healthy and shiny. I think it can only be expected that in a 4yo and up class that the youngsters of the group don't quite match up to the horses that have had a few more years to mature When's your next outing?
    This weekend all being well!! Yes I have never been keen on age classes for this reason But its experience at the moment, really I hope that he will have a lovely ride on him and we will aim for some HOYS qualifiers in a few years