Thread: Show horse to Dressage Diva

Default Show horse to Dressage Diva

We had a very busy weekend recently, Smallhunter was having a go at stressage on L, the last attempt a year ago did not go well! In a nutshell she couldnt get him going forwards in the arena and her gaiter zip came undone and was flapping and hanging of her leg (she was nervous as it was) so it really went to pot.I think she had nightmares about it for months ! She then won a lesson with very good dressage instructor who competed at International level. She has had regular lessons with her for the last year and is fantastic, really gets the best out of horse and rider. She is currently schooling B for me when Smallhunter is at work.
    L is full RID and 18.1hh so not really your stereotypical dressage horse but when Smallhunter gets him going he can give any warmblood a run for their money. She decided to give Dressage another go as the comp was on our doorstep.There were 25 in her prelim class most either did BD or BE. She was a bit downhearted to come 5th in the Intro but it gave her the incentive to buck up and do better in the prelim. They did a lovely test, L was much more of the leg , we were very surprised when she went to collect her sheet and there was a 2nd rossette on it

Well done! I am enjoying dressage far more than showing. Getting a big horse around a dressage arena was once likened (by Mary King) to teaching a rugby player to ballet dance and I couldn't agree more! I enviously watch people whose horse's take 20 strides down the long side (Charles does 4 or 5 canter strides!)

I do get so frustrated when I read the comment (on your test) though - "needs to take more weight behind/lighten front end" - its a prelim FFS! Horses are not meant to be high in front! I actually got the comment my horse was too on the forehand in a free walk the other day! First time I've heard that one!!

Well done That is fab!! These big horses can give warmbloods a run for their money for sure, I used to get these snobby wee looks unloading Ted, it was rather fun when I beat those snobby faces I admit on my hairy horse Are you showing at the same time?

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    Well done That is fab!! These big horses can give warmbloods a run for their money for sure, I used to get these snobby wee looks unloading Ted, it was rather fun when I beat those snobby faces I admit on my hairy horse Are you showing at the same time?
    Yes still showing, he went out the next day and qualified for a local Championship show. We are off to RIHS at the end of July to do the Heavyweight hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by spot View Post
    Yes still showing, he went out the next day and qualified for a local Championship show. We are off to RIHS at the end of July to do the Heavyweight hunter.
    Fab!! Thats great! I was hoping George would be my HW hunter but sadly they don't allow stallions in which I just cannot understand!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Quote Originally Posted by EvinStar View Post
    Well done! I am enjoying dressage far more than showing. Getting a big horse around a dressage arena was once likened (by Mary King) to teaching a rugby player to ballet dance and I couldn't agree more! I enviously watch people whose horse's take 20 strides down the long side (Charles does 4 or 5 canter strides!)

I do get so frustrated when I read the comment (on your test) though - "needs to take more weight behind/lighten front end" - its a prelim FFS! Horses are not meant to be high in front! I actually got the comment my horse was too on the forehand in a free walk the other day! First time I've heard that one!!
    I find it far more subjective than showing! It helps to have amazingly long legs on him which luckily Smallhunter does have .

Got to be a bit more rewarding to get out and get real critique broken down so she can work on things well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    Got to be a bit more rewarding to get out and get real critique broken down so she can work on things well done!
    Yep, his walk has improved!

Well done, what great results I didn't realise he was 18.1! 10m half circles must be a bit tight!

I'm hoping to do more dressage with J as I'm getting a bit hooked, not managed to get out to one yet only done a couple of Interdressage but am finding the comments mainly very helpful.