Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scout and Cleo

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    Cleo is looking great! Very trim and well turned out!
    Thankyou, it's amazing what a decent yard can do

Default 29/07/2015

Scout has a break from the vets today, so I spent the day with Cleo We tested out the new surface in the indoor school, it's a bit deep but once it's been ridden on more it should settle a bit, it's much better than the rocky clay that was in there before!Then we went for a little wander round the roads to cool off, and afterwards I sat in the field for half an hour just chilling with Scout I videoed me riding Cleo to get some screenshots off but watching the video made me feel sick, I know I'm overweight but that is just awful
    11794402_1624326117820771_7406367713455565200_o.jpg11813359_1624304384489611_5696300236606980283_n.jpg11751968_1624247951161921_4394990809153261072_n.jpg11224239_1624326111154105_978398301597877159_o.jpg
    Also, I REALLY need some riding lessons again

Default 01/08/2015

Yesterday, the lady who has had Della on trial for the last 6 weeks agreed to buy her, so, Della officially has a new home! Leaving me with Itchy and Lumpy I will miss Della but it has been nice over the last few weeks only having the two to see to and one to ride, and she has done really well already at her new home so hopefully they'll continue to have fun together

Scout's sarcoid treatment is going well so far and is looking quite promising. My main worry is that they come back and of course insurance wont pay again BUT we shall keep positive and hope this is the end of it.

I hacked Cleo out with a friend today (yes I actually have a friend at the yard, shocking!!) friend's horse is a 10yo mare who lacked a lot of confidence with hacking and is still a bit nervy despite massive improvements, so we practiced taking it in turns leading and riding side by side etc. Cleo is happy wherever you stick her (although on faster hacks she likes to be up front) I thought I'd just try out her new ride-on fly sheet and I'm glad I did because the flies were swarming around, it was horrible!

Also, I may have subjected Scout to some slight animal cruelty. I stood in the tack shop yesterday, smart Amigo Mio in one hand, garish pink and rainbow Weatherbeeta in the other whilst having an internal struggle. My sensible side said the Amigo is much cheaper, looks much smarter.... buuut it's not rainbow though... So yes, Scout now has a pink and rainbow striped fly rug

11836847_1625139397739443_7944344619563458721_n.jpg11802723_1625222174397832_2351981491524896523_o.jpg

Default 14th August 2015

Ok well I have learnt to listen to my sensible side, as I found pink fly rug in two pieces in the field this morning! I expected much more for a 70 fly rug but I guess I was paying for the novelty rather than it's actual use!

Some friends came to visit today which is nice because I'm a loner! Just had to be after Della went though so the three of us each had a turn on Cleo who put up with us gracefully.

She was on one today after a week of doing nothing, also I can't ride for poop so lessons will begin as soon as my student loan comes in.
    IMG_2783.jpgIMG_2810.jpg

I decided it was time for Scout to start working again, just a couple of days a week long-reining or something He was very good considering it was his first time in a few months actually doing any work, we just did 20 minutes of walking and halting- his voice commands are as ace as ever

I also decided it was time to attempt to go to the woods with Cleo on our lonesome, we've tried before and I've always had to get off at some point but not this time! It took us about 5 minutes to open a gate, get through, close the gate and set off as she danced around and went backwards a lot. After the gate incident she was really good

The gate of doom

And the knee-scraper gateway

Default 19th August 2015

I rode Cleo in the school today as part of our attempt to get more schooling done Scout did some more long-reining too, his first time on the new surface- he was very confused!

How old is Scout?

Quote Originally Posted by MileAMinute View Post
    How old is Scout?
    He was 4 at the beginning of April.

Default 13t September 2015

Today me and my friend took Cleo and Scout out for their first hack from their new field. I intended to ride Scout at some point on the hack but I don't have any stirrups for his saddle Both ponies came in and stood nicely to be groomed and tacked up and we set off, they were both incredibly relaxed and forward, no spooking, shying, snorting, planting as per usual (*cough* Cleo *cough*) Met loads of friendly cyclists, runners, dog walkers and horse riders and Scout was leading the whole way We turned around to go home after about half an hour and I spotted a bench which I thought I could probably use to get on Scout with no stirrups. He stood still next to it whilst I very ungracefully clambered on him.

Scout had been the drink carrier for the hack so I'd taken the bag off him and left it on the bench, my friend said she'd get it but Cleo wouldn't go near the bench and kept backing off, she shoved Scout with her bum which upset him a bit and he started going backwards into the hedge, I suddenly realised how unsafe it felt with no stirrups so panicked a little bit, I got him to stand but he's never been very patient so he didn't want to wait around for Cleo so started going backwards again, for some reason I started shaking and decided to get off

He was a really good boy I just didn't feel comfortable enough to be confident on him, I'm buying some stirrup leathers tomorrow and next time I'll get on him when we first go out and just get going, he gets bored waiting around, he probably would have been ok had Cleo just set off straight away. We shall also do lots of practicing standing still in-hand and ridden!

But considering he hadn't been at his new home for even 24 hours, it's the first time I've sat on him outside of a school and I had no stirrups, I think he did really well.... just needs his mother to get herself together

-Also to clarify, the hacking is cycling/riding trails, if it was a road or something I wouldn't have jumped on with no stirrups