Thread: How much work for a 4yr old?

Default How much work for a 4yr old?

Wanted some opinions as to whether people think I'm doing too much with badger.

He was backed last year aged 3 sat on approx 10 times then turned away, had wolf teeth out and then was bought back in age 4 in March, sat on and then I bought him.

I've had him 7 weeks now and we've built up the work nicely. He is getting fit and his muscle development is coming on well.

I have lunged him twice in this time and obky schooled twice so far, we mostly hack and have been having great fun.

This week is one of the busier ones........
    Monday - day off
    Tuesday - 20 mins of basic schooling, mostly walk and trot, working on transitions, straightness and getting him to listen.
    Wednesday - 15 mins lunging (walk and trot only)
    Thursday - 1hr hack or trotting poles in field
    Friday - day off
    Saturday - day off
    Sunday - morning out, take him out in trailer to new different hacking venues.

I take him in the trailer somewhere new each week at the moment. It's done wonders for his loading and he loves his hacking. We're doing 5-6 miles at the weekends and got a fun ride coming up in 2 weeks time.

Last week I managed one hack in the week.with a couple of canters, took him to a friends on Friday for a pub hack (3 miles tops) then Sunday we trailered to a local forest and hacked for 2 hrs and popped the odd log.

Is this too much? The hacking is less strenuous than schooling for them and only this week have I started to do a little schooling.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I think there will be a few different opinions on this. I know Binky was out competing as a four year old. I couldn't tell you exactly how much but she turned 5 at the end of May and I have just brought her having been told she's done xc, sj and dressage and some showing, even been to the big Dublin show so she must have done quite a bit as a 4 year old. However in Ireland I think they do more from a young age?

I would say what you're doing is fine, all horses are different and if he seems to be enjoying it then carry on and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what you are doing is fine. With Ted I did about 4 days a week and built it up when he was older, he did light schooling mostly straight lines or BIG circles, I personally wouldn't have used a pessoa type gadget as I don't worry too much about head carriage etc on a 4 year old.

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

I would swap Thursday and Friday and I would have every 4th week just hacking, and a 4/5 day off in a row every now and again. and also be aware of how his body is growing there were times where I have to give mine blocks off. I know many others on here did the same.

I would ditch the gadget at 4 too.

Many trainers feel there is little to be gained by starting too early and find that horses started later in life catch up with peers whose training began much earlier. Certainly, if the goal is to eliminate any possible strain on a growing body, waiting until the age of five will achieve that goal. This is when many horses begin their careers and can handle the advanced training of demanding sports like jumping, dressage, distance riding, polo and other high speed, high impact or physically demanding work. To work a very young horse too hard can cause damage to joints and ligaments in the legs and upper body.

There are so many differing opinions on this, as most of the work is hacking and I am assuming not all fast work I wouldn't be at all worried about the amount he is doing.

I had to be aware of Alfie's growth spurts and he did very little work when he was having a spurt. But otherwise gentle hacking was most of his work at that age