Thread: What's the fair answer to this?

Default What's the fair answer to this?

Hey!

Before I post this, I'm not sure if my horse's loaner visits this forum, and if she does I just want her to know I'm only asking to get a perspective of other people

My horse has been on loan since the end of last October. He's on loan about 30 miles from me. The loan is for a year so I will be having him back I 3 months.

Last week his loaner let me know she is moving away. She is moving another 60 miles further away from me, so a total of 90 miles away, and has asked if I mind if she takes my horse with her.

Now if I was to say yes it would be under the condition that she covers the cost of returning him since he's so far away. If he was still at the closer yard only 30 miles away I had agreed to hire the horse box like. Neither of us have our own transport

However she thinks I should cover the costs of getting him back as she hired a box to move him over.

I have thought about a compromise of, I cover a third of the cost and she should cover 2 thirds if he does move? What would you say is fair?!

If she's choosing to move him the extra distance then she should pay to bring him that distance back.

Quote Originally Posted by flickaz View Post
    If she's choosing to move him the extra distance then she should pay to bring him that distance back.
    I agree with this. The costs should fall at her door!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Does she pay for the loan?

While what others have said above is true, of course, if she is moving, and she can't afford to bring him, is it going to inconvenience you to have him back early? Are you going to end up paying livery for a horse you don't have time to ride regardless?
    She has you over a barrel if so.
    If it is, and she is paying for the loan, then I would just let her off an appropriate amount maybe? Not sure... I wouldn't be paying the full cost either way, but I guess you have to weigh it up on what it may cost you if he comes back early.

If you were planning on hiring a horsebox anyway then the only extra cost will be the 120 additional miles of petrol surely, which you could split between you or ask her to pay? I think if you agreed to pay for transport at the start then you need to honour that and work out if the extra mileage can be sorted out somehow?