Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a youngster - what to expect?!

Thankyou RoughRider I just worry myself and want to do best by my horses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing you need is patience. Do not let anyone pressure you or tell you that your horse should be doing xyz by a certain age etc - take everything at a pace you are both comfortable with. I completely agree with the "do not over handle" comment - this is very important! Let them be babies
    Completely agree to that!! Everyone is different and it's not a race!
    Proud owner of NINE ponies. Two Arabians, two cobs, one welsh cross, two welsh section a's, one standard shetland and one miniature shetland

Thanks linzc I guess that's the beauty of it. We have all the time in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Bailey View Post
    Thanks linzc I guess that's the beauty of it. We have all the time in the world

And enjoy it Youngsters are wonderful!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Can I ask what people's routines with their youngsters are/was? Just so they get used to you and have a positive association with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Bailey View Post
    Can I ask what people's routines with their youngsters are/was? Just so they get used to you and have a positive association with you.

Plenty of scratches! I try not to give to many treats. I vary the routine a lot too as I don't like them to predict when your coming so their stood at gates or stressing.
    Proud owner of NINE ponies. Two Arabians, two cobs, one welsh cross, two welsh section a's, one standard shetland and one miniature shetland

Quote Originally Posted by linzc View Post
    Plenty of scratches! I try not to give to many treats. I vary the routine a lot too as I don't like them to predict when your coming so their stood at gates or stressing.
    As in give them plenty of scratches or expect lots of scratches? :P
    Does grooming help with bonding? Taking them in to feed them every day or every other day?

Give them scratches lol.
    Yeah I give my girl a good groom with and without food. It's a natural process in the herd to groom very good for bonding. It's a good time to get the used to be touched everywhere. My girl loves her teats being scratched lol