Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hidalgo

Default Hidalgo

Meet Hidalgo, a 5yo Andalusian x. I've started working with him now Bril is retired, to help out a friend.

He's a real sweetie but not done much at all. So far we've practiced walking in and out from the field without leaping on my head, basic leading commands (walk/halt/back up/move sideways), and gone for a few walks around the yard and on Sunday we took a walk down to the river and met some kids and bikes and dogs and other exciting things.

He's the sort who stops if he isn't sure, but is so curious that he can't help himself but investigate it. He also has a spark about him - when we investigated the school he was super until something spooked him and he took off broncing.

Plan is to take it slow and stead over the winter and just get him used to the world really.

The most important bit:

Meeting sheep:

Team grey pony:

Sunday:

Oh he's lovely! Look forwards to seeing how you 2 get on any idea what he's crossed with?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ooh he's beautiful

He looks lovely and very cheeky lol, he's got a mischievous look about him whilst also looking like butter wouldn't melt . Can't wait for more updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andalusian x Paso actually- a friend of mine bred him.

He's proving to be a real poppet - the last few weeks have been spent chasing the daylight and getting him used to "stuff" in the dark - so not much new stuff just all the basics when the field/walk to yard/yard look very different in the dark.

On Sunday we went into the school again and he was much more settled this time, did some good walk- halt - walk - back up stuff and turns on the forehand. Then we tried "baby" lunging ie off a headcollar, on a not to big circle, with reasonably low expectations. He was great and walked and trotted both reins. He was distracted by another horse in the school a bit but mostly listened and didn't attempt to disappear or anything, was just looking about.

Tomorrow the aim is to try the school in the dark with the lights on, to see how that goes, then a "hack" on the weekend with a few other people and attempt to cross the river. I'm ready to get soaked in the process!

I'm biased but Andalusians are the best horses in the world.
    He looks really sweet, you'll have lots of fun with him. Don't be scared to ask for help when it comes to Andalusians, Theres the BAPSH fb and all are very helpful on there or hunt someone down. They are extremely different to any other breed of horse so sometimes you can hit issues you have never come across or have to find different ways around things. I have 3 full breds and wouldn't be without them now. It's odd having only one none spaniard on the yard as he's so hugely different to the others.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with Hidalgo.

This weekend we did walkies out with a few friends. He was a star, happy infront, or behind, or in the middle, or so far behind he couldn't see the others. We met cyclists, walkers, people studying bugs from the river, dogs etc, as well as walking over a few bridges and along a reasonably fast country road. No problem. We also went through the river with no hesitation after having a slight disagreement about the puddle but turns out I'm more stubborn than he is .

Super pleased with him, will try him in the outdoor with lights on this week - we didn't go in last week we did in the dark exploring near the m25 and leading around the field away from his mates as it was raining and I was being too lazy to bring him properly in.

Steph- in what way do you feel they are 'different'? Paso's are quirky in their own way but I'm pretty used to that now.

So we've done a few walks out and a bit more exploring. He's been a real poppet and brave as anything.

We went to the jumping field (alongside M25) and he was awesome, we played with puddles and poles.

With his big brother in the river - I got wet feet on the way through so passed him over to his owner for the return trip!

ETA- this is the first time he's had a roller and leg wraps on and I'm not sure he noticed...

Have been doing the "standard" stuff I expect my pony to be fine with, e.g. being led whilst wheeling a wheelbarrow and not even thinking about snatching for grass when on a loose lead, puddle practice (mostly involving Bril not allowing him to walk on the dry bit when I lead them in together), rug faffing, backing up without touch, moving hindquarters, etc.

We also went in the school with the lights on for the first time - it hadn't worked out until last week. He was actually just totally fine. Bewilderingly fine. He's only been in there 3 times in the past year and a handful of times before that and it was dark with lights and its next to the motorway and....
    more baby lunging - brief, mostly walk and as big circles and I could get him to understand.

And also we did a long walk out alone - we went some places we've been before and some places we haven't. Some intentional, and some unintentional (on a road bridge over the M25 ). He was absolutely cracking, had a few moments where he was really looking for me to tell him it was ok and I did and he was all good.

I'm really impressed as the pony I first met a few months ago was SO horse reliant and didn't really give a stuff about what you were interested in doing, so he's come on leaps and bounds. Might try long reining if I can find a spare pair of hands to help me, but as the evenings get darker and colder everyone seems to have gone home by the time I get up there!

Aww bless him! He looks like a wee cutie!! It is so difficult starting them in the winter!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.