Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hidalgo

Thankfully Minstrel I'm not in any rush so sessions twice a week over the winter will work fairly well I think. In my experience, it's easy to get carried away and rush babies as they seem to learn so quickly but actually this forces me to take things nice and slowly and really consolidate each stage before we get to the nicer spring weather. Also luckily, as their field is next to the motorway, I can practice some groundwork just in the field with those lights so even if im in a rush in the evenings he still gets a session.

Quote Originally Posted by shoniedaspony View Post
    Thankfully Minstrel I'm not in any rush so sessions twice a week over the winter will work fairly well I think. In my experience, it's easy to get carried away and rush babies as they seem to learn so quickly but actually this forces me to take things nice and slowly and really consolidate each stage before we get to the nicer spring weather. Also luckily, as their field is next to the motorway, I can practice some groundwork just in the field with those lights so even if im in a rush in the evenings he still gets a session.
    I am with you there The 4 y.o here has just been turned away. He walks and trots under saddle thats enough for now (did do one canter but doesn't really get it yet so thats fine) and now working away with a 5 y.o who is starting from scratch. We have just been getting the vocal aids through long lining and lunging I feel that next year will be busy!! Its good you have a school makes it so much harder to do the little things with all the wet at the moment, I swear this has been the wettest year I ever remember!!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Progress continues-
    Lunging in a roller and flappy sidereins. Doesn't care. Also jumping in hand which he LOVES and shows me how incredibly unfit I am by just a short jog around!

More walking out, exploring new places and things, focusing on getting him to be willing to walk over/onto/through unusual things in a calm and thinking manner. He's such a poppet!

Tried longreining with the assistance of a yard mate. He wasn't really sure what it was all about and his tendency when unsure it to just stop, so that was undramatic at least. He got it eventually, although for ease I'd like to try with a helper at least once more before going it alone.

Today we did some shortreining, which he understood much better than the long reining, he's beginning to get the idea of not walking when I walk, but to walk off my voice and then I will follow alongside. Towards the end f the session we added in saddle (first time) and progressed to trotting up and down the yard with the stirrups down. He couldn't care less.
    A few cute photos

(check out Bril in the background having a little rest)

More longreining this weekend, and little H totally got it and ran with it. We did circles, serpentines, over a flat pole and a raised pole, changing the rein etc all without a leader (and with her in the middle of the school so he even had to pass her). So chuffed with him <3

Spent the few weeks before xmas with a little more long reining, the odd lunging session and a bit of leaning over H's back/sitting but not moving.
    Then last weekend I roped his owner into giving me a hand and chucked her onboard. She got on and off a few times, and then we did a little walk around the school. He was a bit wobbly while his legs got used to carrying extra weight but then was nice and relaxed and happily walking round. He was super chilled and again, didn't put a foot wrong.

Now need to try that a few more times and remove the leader, and then we can start some gentle walk hacks. Dark nights are a pain as it's generally only me on my own at the yard mid week and although he is good, I'm not stupid enough to get on a barely backed youngster on my own, in the dark, on a rural yard. Not quite that stupid!

On board for the second attempt at being ridden and on a hack. He was ACE.

http://s672.photobucket.com/user/sho...ia/H1.jpg.html

Two solo walk hacks this weekend. Met lots of 'stuff', none of it bothering little H. Had a few spooks when things appeared unexpectedly e.g. round the corner a wall was painted white! but all just minor and baby things and was happy to mooch round two different routes on his own. Trot this week...!

Hacking continues-alone and in company. Been fine with lorries,under m25, seen bikes dogs sheep tractors etc.

Crossed the river today,it was up to his belly but he was calm and happy about it.

Had a minor rodeo today too as he tripped just after i got on,scared himself so leapt and the saddle slid forwards (yet to do girth up fully) so he had a rodeo. All fine as I didn't come off and he settled down and once we had the saddle moved the rest of the hack was fine.

Also forgot to mention walk and trot is established. Canter will come in time but I'm in no rush.

So canter came semi accidentally on a hack. All good. And tried again tonight in the school and it went well.