Thread: Pregnancy testing - Options?

Default Pregnancy testing - Options?

Today I discovered my sweet little Welsh section a mare, which I purchased three weeks ago from York horse sales as a companion/potential driving pony is producing milk. Since there is no clover in her field, she isn't being fed either alfalfa or soya and doesn't appear to have an infection like mastitis, I'm thinking she may well be in foal.
    Does anyone here have any experience of attempting to diagnose later stage pregnancy? There seem to be several time sensitive tests which work earlier on but will give inconclusive results after about ninety or so days so I'm probably looking at an ultrasound unless there's something I've missed?

Quote Originally Posted by hepsibah View Post
    Today I discovered my sweet little Welsh section a mare, which I purchased three weeks ago from York horse sales as a companion/potential driving pony is producing milk. Since there is no clover in her field, she isn't being fed either alfalfa or soya and doesn't appear to have an infection like mastitis, I'm thinking she may well be in foal.
    Does anyone here have any experience of attempting to diagnose later stage pregnancy? There seem to be several time sensitive tests which work earlier on but will give inconclusive results after about ninety or so days so I'm probably looking at an ultrasound unless there's something I've missed?
    I seem to recall the vet can tell without an ultrasound but I struggle to remember at what stage that is... I think the best bet is to get the vet out. More so since she is bagging up at this time of year you will need to be prepared!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

It never rains....
    Since I put my first post on, I contacted the person listed as her previous owner on facebook. He wasn't the seller from York but the person who sold her to the person at York. Anyway, he had used her as a broodmare but it turned out she hated foals, so much so that she killed her first then had to be persuaded to look after her next two before he gave it up as a bad job.
    The good news is that she was certainly not allowed near the stallion after her last foal there so since she was sold by him in May, there is no possibility of a foal until April at the earliest. The bad news is that the people who purchased her may well have chucked her in a field with a colt of any discription at any point between May and December so I might still have a problem; not only of a BOGOF but one the little mare is likely to attack at birth. I definitely need to speak to the vet to see what our options are.

A vet.

Agreed. However, sometimes it is best going into a consultation to know what your options are so you don't have to make an informed decision on the spot.

I ended up opting for a blood test since the mare is only little and the vet is rather large. It seemed an eternity to wait but the results are in - negative. I can get started working with her now.