Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I've been up to (pic heavy!)

Default What I've been up to (pic heavy!)

Things have been quiet on the horsey front. It's winter, it's cold, it's wet, I'm aching - pretty much business as usual! River and Stormy are doing well (and looking lovely, if muddy!) and "little" Storm is growing like a weed. She'll be three in April. THREE!! Mr Sez and I seem to have reached a truce over the horses for the time being, so for the moment everything is just ticking along.

While I've been hibernating, I have thrown myself into a new take on an old hobby. My parents have been re-enacting since before I was born, so most of my earliest memories are of vikings and my mum is still heavily involved as education officer for her group (she's a teacher by profession) and has a small business making re-enactment clothing and equipment. My dad and step-mother also spent a number of years involved with fantasy LARP, so growing up I was always encouraged from both sides in making props and costumes for play.

As much as I love the history side of re-enacting and still get involved a bit when I visit my mum, my health means I'm not terribly reliable and while there's been a few occasions that I've gone tracking down info for local groups, I've seen from the other side how frustrating it is when someone can't follow through on their commitment. So, I decided to take up cosplay instead All the fun of creating costumes and props, without the pressure of being committed to a certain number of events and feeling like I have to stick around after a busy day to help clear up I've found myself a couple of friendly and encouraging groups on FB and I've been having an absolute whale of a time.

I took my half-finished Inquisitor, from the latest Dragon Age game, to the Birmingham MCM Comic-Con last November and had a blast, even though I did miss out on meeting up with the others from the FB group and Mr Sez was so busy trying to navigate the wheelchair through the crowds that I didn't really manage to get any photos. But I did finally finish my shirt last night after scrapping what I had and starting over (several times ) so I will have a much more polished outfit for next month's convention. Scarily enough, despite having had no intention of committing myself to things, my calendar is filling up with events, including a professional photo shoot in August. Aside from finishing my Inquisitor costume, I'm also working on the Hero of Ferelden from Dragon Age: Origins for the summer and Commander Shepard from the Mass Effect franchise for November.

Anyone who is friends with me on FB will have probably seen these, so please forgive the photo dump!

Smudgy and shattered after a very long day (three hour drive to Birmingham, five hours at the NEC and a three hour drive home again! It absolutely did me in for a good week afterwards, but so worth it!). I was so warm in my coat that my make-up started to run after less than an hour, so I'm testing out some alternatives for next time!

Sparkly potions and a Jar of Bees grenade! These will be going on my belt once I decide whether I'm going to seal the corks and hang them individually so that they can be seen, or if I'm going to make a pouch for them and just get them out as photo props. The bees took a few experiments to get right - I started out with pipecleaners and tissue paper but I turned up a random box of Fimo that I'd forgotten I had and spent a relaxing afternoon sculpting bees to movies

Shepard's N7 Eagle heavy pistol for my Mass Effect costume, built entirely from cardstock and hot glue. This was my Christmas holiday project I've done the first coat of resin on all the pieces but I've had to put it on hold until I get my Dragon Age costumes finished, since I won't need it until the autumn.

For the last few weeks I've been working on my Hero of Ferelden armour, which requires strips of scale maille. The re-enactor in me was horrified at the idea of it not being "authentic" but the thought of hauling actual maille around a convention centre really wasn't appealing - it's bad enough to wear for outdoor living history events! So I've been making it out of yarn and craft foam The pic below was after the first coat of silver paint. Once I know how all the pieces will line up, I'll go in with some acrylic paints to make it look weathered and worn.

I've even been getting to grips with some new (to me) SFX make up techniques. I figured that a high fantasy character that battles demons, monsters and the undead for a living would probably have a few interesting scars to show off!

And finally, my finished shirt! I'm really pleased with it, so I'm going to have to make sure the rest of the outfit is up to the same standard

I'm really excited to get the rest finished up so that I can see how the finished costume looks! I've also got some ideas for photoshoots with the horses over the summer, so I've got lots of fun things to look forward to this year
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Gosh you have some patience to do all that!! It is fascinating! I look forward to seeing more...

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Looks amazing. I would never have the patience to do all that!

As an avid DA/ME fan myself, they are incredible!

Thank you, guys I've had lots of fun doing everything. Mostly with things like the maille, it's something productive and vaguely mindless to keep my hands busy in the evenings and since it's so narrow, it comes together really quickly, which motivates me to keep going. I've just started using the Cosplanner app, in an attempt to gather all my notes and lists in a single place but it also lets me keep track of how long I spend working on all the pieces. It will be interesting to see how much time I've put in once I get to the end!
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him

[/CENTER]

Your so clever!
    My Son has some friends who do cosplay, they go all around the country to cosplay events. It looks and sounds so much fun!

You have some pretty good imagination and skills! I would love to do cosplay with some comic-cons looming but I'm not exceptionally crafty! I've trawled through thousands of ideas!
    Also been roped into a Star Trek convention and there is no way I'm going without a uniform!!!

My 2360s-70s Engineer's jumpsuit was, I think, my first full cosplay (although I'd certainly never heard the phrase "cosplay" back then!). If I remember rightly it was 1996, I was eleven, and it was made from the cheapest, nastiest black polycotton with yellow felt and a bit of elastic in the waist, that I saved up my pocket money for weeks to buy I already had a blue turtle-neck and made my pips and comm badge from Fimo and cardboard. I was exceedingly proud of myself although the damn thing fell apart at the slightest provocation

[/CENTER]

I took my Inquisitor out to Comic-Con in Birmingham on Sunday and got to have a mini-meet with some other Dragon Agers We had an absolute blast and photos are steadily rolling in.

Photos by Darren Allen

Photo orginally shared by HanKhar Cosplay

And credit to my lovely cosplayers-in-arms for their brilliant costumes
    Solas: HanKhar Cosplay
    Morrigan: Owlcat Cosplay
    Sera: ZombyBoi Art & Cosplay
    Hawke: Defender of Thedas Cosplay

[/CENTER]

Fab