Thread: Ronnie's Advertures

Default Ronnie's Advertures

OK, here goes.
    On the 12th Aug, i picked up everyone's fav Ronnie. After an agreement with between me and Dosydo, due to her love pregnacy Ronnie needed a home where he could be worked and have lots of fun. Now at the time i really wasn't meant to be looking until after the summer holidays had finished, but i seen a different advert spring up on my FB page for a race horse looking for a new home. That didn't work out and Dosy seen i had been looking as such and sent me a lovely message, After a loveluy visit and good old catch up Ronnie was picked up.
    By have i had my work cut out but tbh it has been lovely to have something keep me on my toes I gave Ronnie about 2 week's or so to settle and get to know T, and vice-versa, once the dust had settled i begain with some much needed lunge work ( Ronnie has been out of work for about 18 months ) Being out of work for so long lunging helps get any fizzy side out and i can see what needs to be done.
    Well i got the look of what on earth are you asking me to do haha, i got the oh ok i need to walk really really close to you and stay in your space then, to oh ok i dont know what walk is but trot is fun with a canter as well
    With that in mind of fun, he finially got how to work on the lunge, it took about 3 goes spreed out over the weeks, but he lunges like a dream now. In the end i bit the bullet and decided to tack him up and get him ridden, i kept this within one of my fields and my brave pants wasn't sure how he would fair out hacking. Well i didn't need to worry to much, he took it all in his stride, he is one super soft lad. The slightest tough with my calf and he went off, i didn't even have to touch my reins, it was all seat based, so it tells he's had some very good schooling at some point. Which if i am honest is a god send to me, as less strain on my hips and ankles due to my hypermobility.
    So i waited till the weekend and i put my big girl pants of and took him out for a hack with my otherhalf on foot with the dog, Ronnie was a real saint. Nothing bothered him one bit, not every the quad that come past in the neighboring field. i loved every min of the hack, so i asked my otherhalf to tack up T the next day and join me ( keep in mind this was the first hack my otherhalf has ever done ) and Ronnie, and as expected he never put a foot wrong.
    Ronnie had a big hack out the following weened as my sharer for T was about, so she had planned a rather big route to go round. Ronnie never put a foot wrong again on the way out including a couple of canters through the fields, i just dropped my reins and he was like a smooth rocking horse. On the way back however things didn't go to plan, we had a couple of gates to get through which we did on the way down, so same ones coming back. I asked Ronnie to wait while my sharer shut them, let Ronnie eat some grass while we waited as T isn't great with shutting gates lol. Once the gate was shut i asked Ronnie to lift up and move forward, next thing i know he rears well i forgot i had my false nails on, sat the rear and asked forwards again, so he reared again. So i asked once more and could see he was going to rear again so i hopped off, moved him and got back on and off we went again. To my horror i could feel the pain travelling up my finger and i realized what had happened, yep you guessed it. I must have snagged my finger ( i had gloves on btw ) and ripped my nail off , we i couldn't really do anything about it and he was foot perfect again after that. Once we got back to the yard i checked him over, as the rears he did just wasn't anything nasty, no malice in him it was more like a temper tantrum/pain rear. I run my hands over his back and just under the saddles panel he went to nip, its a pain thing. So he's now on rest until physio is here on Saturday, Ronnies teeth have already been done he had those done during his first 2/3 weeks of being with me and T was due at the same time, once thats all sorted my saddler will be out also to check fitting.
    I am hoping he will be fine by the 16th Oct, as we are booked in for a local beach 10km pleasure ride, although i am looking to just take it easy nothing to fast paced T will also be joining us on the pleasure ride as my sharer is very keen to do many with him.
    Anyway heres some Photos and Videos too

On the box

At my place

Schooling

Spoilt the boy's at Burghley

Out Hacking

Funny face

And the videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBL8pVwIpTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoy778Aar5U

Excuse my rambling lol there maybe the odd swear word in there, so if you don't like swearing turn the volum down
    http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45_1.gif
    Proud Owner Of Two Ex Race Horses, Mr Tuplin And Rony Dony

Ok, a couple of months or so have passed since i last up dated Ronnies diary.
    On the 16th Oct, myself and my share completed our local pleasure ride. Both boys loved it, and behaved far better than i though they would.

After our pleasure ride, Ronnie showed some mild signs of ulcers so i have been treating those, and had a feeding overhall. I've kepts T and Ronnie on the same diet, just to make things far more easier.
    Ronnie still had some scab's on his leg's,mudfever like scars. With the weather changing fast with winter coming in, i often coat T's legs with pig oil and sulphur, T has never shown any signs of reaction. Me being me and i normally patch test, i completely slipped up and didn't patch test Ronnies legs. 24 or so hours later, and Ronnies legs blow up like big balloons.
    The skin was weeping with honey coloured liquid (non sticky), and smelled of the pig oil. This having to happen on a weekend, so as you can guess, i would be looking at a huge vet bill.
    However my vet was a saint, new exactly what was going on and told me to pop into the surgery and pick up his meds instead.
    There went my plans for getting him fit and going for the summer season.

So Ronnie had been field bound, until his legs come right. Which right now they are nearly finished growing the hair back.
    Inbetween all this, i got a chance to ride a very good friends PSG dressage horse, and one that i will never forget.
    Odie, showed me the ropes. Flying changes,extentions and true impulsion.

I also got to see my old girl lady, who as you will see, is still grumpy as ever. But is looking rather well for a 20 year old.

While i was busy help Ronnie heal up, i entered a BHS comp for a WoW saddle. Being a BHS member has its perks, by getting there mag every few months or so.
    If i'm honest, i enter a lot of comps, like many horse owners. I never win anything, well apart from a trail bag of Rowen and Barbery beetroot stuff and come country boots lol.
    Some weeks had passed, and never really thought about the comp. Until i got a phone call tell me i had won the saddle.

Saddle fitting was on the 22/12/16, all was going well with the fitting for Ronnie, templates took, measurements done, then the changing of the head plate. What a faff, first scrrew went in fine but the second wouldn't budge. If she tried to push a but more the screw would have sheared off. So she's had to take it back and see if she could rethread the holding, if that doesn't work then its going back to Wow to replace the part.
    I must admite though, the sadle is beautful. I didn't mange to get photos of it though sorry.

To also add to a brilliant finish to my 2016 Ronnie was gifted to me, don't think i could have asked for such a brilliant suprise and present.

Ronnie is now coming back into work, but first things first, saddle fitting needed.
    After waiting nearly 3 month's, Ronnies new saddle has arrived and today was fitting day.
    If you remember, i entered a comp for a wow saddle. Well it was going to be fitted just before christmas, however due to a threading issue, the more fitting head plate would go in.
    Eventually, it all got sorted, and Ronnie got his fitting done.
    I'm totally smitten with it, and can't wait to get out and about in it.

Well now that our saddle's are sorted, it has give me chance to see what work needs to be done. Since Ronnie hasn't really done a lot, due to his reaction to pig oil and sulphur, i've had to work getting his fur to grow back and get the last of the scabs gone.
    However there still is a couple that, seem to not want to go away. Well after much pondering on where to go with that, i decided to give Stinky Stuff ago. This morning my package arrived, and if i am honest i can't wait to give it ago. Hopefully this will help his remaining two legs to heal nicely. I also put in a order for ulcer treatment, as vet agree's stage 2 ulcers are pressent. That order also arrived this morning, so he had his first session of ulcer treatment. I decided not to go with Ulcergard due to the cost, but found a company outside of the UK, that supplies the same stuff but under a different branding, and a fraction on the cost.
    Tonight i check bot boys over, and i notice Ronnie wasn't so nippy with his rug, so i'm hoping this is the start of a good thing.

I used abprazole from Abler with Fab and noticed a big difference. I didn't have him scoped, but were some indications he could have ulcers. Hopefully will do the trick with Ronnie x

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio's filly! View Post
    I used abprazole from Abler with Fab and noticed a big difference. I didn't have him scoped, but were some indications he could have ulcers. Hopefully will do the trick with Ronnie x

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    We've not scoped Ronnie either, the sign's are to great, and my vet agree'd. I know many who have got to Abler and raved about them, is even more encourging knowing a fellow TO member has great results with it also, thank FF.

Well what a week or so, with Ronnies saddle now sorted, my plans where to start some sort of fitness.
    While Ronnie is having gastric treatment, he was still able to be ridden. The bulk of that is hacking at the moment, nothing super fast, just nice gentle walks and short trots.
    As always most of my hacks are at the weekends, while Ása is about, meaning i have some company as she rides T. I was hoping for a quiet hack out, as during the week i got on T just to start getting some topline etc.
    However T decided this was far to relaxed and i needed to be more forward shall i say, and with that T decided a buck was more fun and i landed on my backside. However it would seem my hands also braced, meaning i was in to much pain.
    After a quick check over at the hospital i was give the all clear for no breaks, but sprains. My GP wasn't happy with that and told me ive over stretched the nerve's and it will take 6-8 weeks to correct, so i need to be a little more careful in future rides.
    Anyway back to Ronnie, so our hack out was fine. Infact Ronie felt good and happy in himself. However on the way back things took a rather nasty turn, the bridle path we use is only a stone throw away. We had noticed that the local council have been busy in cutting back the over grown tree's and hegdes, which is great. On the way back we hadn't noticed that some fencing wire was in the path, and before i noticed it was to late, and Ronnie walked into it. The noise of it on his hoove spooked him, and he shot off. My heart was in my mouth, i cold hear the wire dragging behind him, and i was franticly trying to pull Ronnie up. At one point i thought i was going to go out the side door, but i managed to sit tight. I luckily got Ronnie to listen, and he pulled up. I calmed him down before i jumped off to see the damage that had been done.
    Just as i was about to jump off, Ása said that he was pouring blood. My heart sank, i was expecting a de-gloved leg. Two different legs bleeding, Sigh.
    When i looked him over, i could see a deep'ish cut into his back right but no hanging off skin, and on his front left, the wire had managed to cut into the bulb of his heal. So i opted to walk him in hand as the yard was only 2 mins round the corner, it was a far safer option to take.
    Once i got him home, untacked him. He got a good wash on his legs, as i needed to see if the damaged was worse or not once the mud etc was off.
    Luckily it wasn't, so hibi scrub wash and then stinky stuff applied to help.
    The treatment was repeated on Sunday, as all this happened on Saturday. On monday morning i checked him over again but wasn't overly happy, so i rang the vet and what a lovely phone call, my vet praised me for my quick work and the treatment i had done over the weekend.
    He agree'd more anti b's ( had a couple left over for last treatment ) and some bute would help even more, so off i went to pick those up.
    So at the moment Ronnie is on box rest, as my field at the moment is like a mud bath, which won't help his leg much.

Now i'm going to warn you know, the leg pic isn't very nice, and yes he still can a bit of hair lose from his reaction but hair is slowly coming through.

Well, its nearly a week or so since Ronnie snagged his legs. Today was anti bacterial wash day, which will give me a good insight to how well his leg is healing up.
    I'm reather pleased with how well it is looking, the wound is granulating nicely and what was a open wound is now closing rather well.
    Due to how the wash works the top of the scabs fell off, but that isn't so much a bad thing. It meant i could see full the exstent of the damage and its healing, bewarned the photos are a little gruesome as such.

A long over due update, well me and Ronnie are back out and about. Small work if anything, lots of hackig to start building up muscle etc, the cut Ronnie sustained on his last hack has healed well, infact you can hardly tell he had one.
    I'm also pleased to say we have hair growth on his leg's, in fact i'm over the mood as my vet thought it would never grow back. I honestly don't thing all of it will grow back but if i can get a fair bit of it to grow back then i will be more than happy.
    March wasn't our month though, yet again the property developers flooded out my back fields. Which mean's i have to delay even longer to put the boy in there when the grass has grown enough, to be honest the flooding wasn't as bad as November last year, but thats not the point. Last November i was promised, that they woud come up with a solution to fix the issue. They have admitted the flooding is made by them, and its for them to fix, this never happend. My landowner has been a god send in all of this, the property developers should have contacted him last November but you guessed it, they didn't. So when my fields flooded big time again in March, my landowner took action and as did i. After trying for 2 weeks to get them to talk to me and sort something out through me, which would have been the far easier thing to do, they didn't and neither did head office. Which left me at a point of what to do, my landowner decided to instruct a solicitor and they have now sent out a nicely worded letter. Me well i decided the coucil planning department needed to be made aware of what is going on, they are now investigating the whole thing, and have been happy to see photos. I also decided to do one better again, and contacted the same local MP i did last year. This has set off a whole chain reaction, animal welfare are involved, not because i can't look after my boy's, but because they feel the property developers are putting my boys at risk. It was also advised to put a post into my local FB group about what has gone on, and by god, two days after that post, i got a phone call from the property developers. See the power of FB has it's uses, nontheless, this phone call came from a very high up boss and could not appologise enough. He didn't even know about the flood last year, after a long chat and getting things sorted, i was promised that he would personnally make sure things would get sorted. So as of yesterday, i had a group of engineers request to come into my fields, and look at what is going on. One of those men happened to be, the one who promised last year to get this mess sorted. It was pointed out while i was that he was one of those, and i wasn't best pleased. Well i must say i was pleased to see something being done, and they have a few plan's on getting the issue sorted. I can breath on that front, but it means Ronnie and T, will have to wait on field moving. Thanks to the flood's i've had no choice but to pouch my summer fields and in a very bad way,no more flush grass. This is a huge blow, and to fix the pouched fields is going to cost me far more than fixing my car lol.
    Apart from all this ofc, Ronnie has been doing well and happy eating from huge round bales of hay in the fields. Ulcer wise he is improving nicely, not so girthy or nippy. To protect his legs, he now wears turn out socks, at the vet advice as he once again reacted, but this time its down to sun light. Luckily i spotted it early again, vet came out and gave anti b's and steriod cream to help. Both T and Ronnie are enjoying as much turn out as they get, so much so i can cought them both snoozing in the fields, which is a rare thing for T.
    Anyway, here's some much needed photos, ones of the floods, one of his healed leg, both alseep and one of us out and about.

Fields

Snoozy boys

Out and about

Healed up leg