Thread: Water Fears! Our baby has decided he hates the local ford!

Default Water Fears! Our baby has decided he hates the local ford!

Our latest herd member is a newly rebacked young ex flat racer. He is super in every way and making fabulous progress with my aim being to event him.
    However he has decided he hates water! He loves a bath, even plays with water from a hose, but won't enter water so slight problem. We have a ford on a local byway and I have ended up either stuck or having to ride over the footbridge!
    He has a complete breakdown with rearing, spinning and all. We have tried giving him a lead with my daughter's pony that loves water but still the breakdown!
    Any tips, advice or success stories please?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Sorry I can't help with your water problem but I have noticed a lot of people seem to be buying ex racehorses and retraining them themselves which is something that really appeals to me. I just can't find any for sale...?is there a specific site etc or how do you find them?sorry pretty odd question!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would don the wellies and go and do some ground work, give him confidence by being on the ground and build from there. Good luck!

Do you have any photos of him, love an ex-racehorse

Quote Originally Posted by eagraney View Post
    Our latest herd member is a newly rebacked young ex flat racer. He is super in every way and making fabulous progress with my aim being to event him.
    However he has decided he hates water! He loves a bath, even plays with water from a hose, but won't enter water so slight problem. We have a ford on a local byway and I have ended up either stuck or having to ride over the footbridge!
    He has a complete breakdown with rearing, spinning and all. We have tried giving him a lead with my daughter's pony that loves water but still the breakdown!
    Any tips, advice or success stories please?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Often this occurs when they feel rushed/pressured and can't see the bottom/don't see the point (i.e. there are alternatives that the horse prefers!)

Training, training, training!

How is your horse with larger puddles/ponds/lakes/the sea/etc? All these - if accessible - can provide a good training opportunity, in hand (leading), on the lunge, and then under saddle.

A GOOD (not "any old") cross country water complex can be invaluable. For my mare who was very ANTI-putting her feet in water, this was the solution in the end. Level (all water at same depth, no surprises under foot - requires proper building, not just a hole in the ground), large water systems that she could see the bottom of. Encouraged her to take her first steps and then she realised it was safe.

Wetting their feet from the offending water source can - oddly - encourage them to step in of their own accord.

Remember to reward all effort!

Quote Originally Posted by a.rogers8490 View Post
    Sorry I can't help with your water problem but I have noticed a lot of people seem to be buying ex racehorses and retraining them themselves which is something that really appeals to me. I just can't find any for sale...?is there a specific site etc or how do you find them?sorry pretty odd question!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Race yards, trainers, owners.

Most are keen to place horses into good homes where possible.