Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, Update from me in Australia! :)

Default Hello, Update from me in Australia! :)

Hi everyone!
    As some of you may know i finally plucked up the courage to go travelling in Aus!
    I left in June. I still can't believe I'm here, that i actually went on a 24 hour plane ride by myself! I thought i hated flying but i actually found it fine, I was lucky to have no turbulence on either plane and everything went smoothly. Once i landed in Brisbane and found my way over to the correct train to my hostel, i sat on it totally overwhelmed. i wasn't in panic or scared i was excited but felt so alone, but proud of myself.
    my first 2 nights in the hostel i had a private room to myself to catch up on sleep and not jump straight into sharing a room with strangers. The first night i didn't pluck up the courage to use the communal kitchen or join everyone drinking so i just stayed in my room and slept lol. Though on the second night i bought myself some beers and joined all the loud backpackers who knew each other, sitting playing cards and drinking and chatting. It was totally fine, Not my sort of people but never mind haha.
    On the third day the hostel shuttle bus dropped me off at the bus station ready to catch the greyhound to Noosa. Here i met a guy as we both got on the bus. We chatted the whole way with the girl next to me and he ended up staying at the same hostel as me in Noosa, We stayed for about 10 days in Noosa as we liked it and the food was good lol! We got to know each other there and spent everyday doing stuff together. We left Noosa together and headed to Rainbow beach and went to Fraser Island together which was fun. I still didn't expect nor want anything to happen between us as i'd come to Aus to build confidence and meet friends and do things by myself. We almost parted ways when we finished our 3 day trip on fraser but ended up both getting a job together at Rainbow beach hostel. Here we stayed for 8 weeks and of course things changed between us.
    We bought a car together and have been travelling together ever since We left Rainbow about 4 weeks ago and have gone up the east coast and inland a little, we've travelled the length of great Britain twice!
    Most of it has been fun and a great adventure so far, there has been a few ups and downs. But mostly I'm loving it.
    Its odd that I'm in a relationship here, At home i've always struggled to get to know people/guys well enough for them to date me. In fact i've never been in a proper relationship, Its scary for me and i don't think I'm very good at it as I'm not use to someone being there all the time. At home i just had a guy i was sort of with but not for 4 years mess with my emotions a lot.
    Anyway, were just an hour from Cairns now. Working on a Banana farm. OH MY GOD I HATE IT! i hate it sooo much but he has run out of money and needs to earn for a little while. After the second day i almost walked away from the job, him and everything as i just hate it so much. But we've been here 5 days now and I'm getting on with it but I'm not happy unfortunatley. The only good thing is we have a 4 bed house to ourselves which is nice to not be sleeping in the back of the car and have proper facilities and a cooker!
    But yes just thought id do a quick update for you all. I went horse riding at Rainbow which was amazing, can't wait to go riding again. I want to work with horses out here at some point.

Lucy is behaving most the time at home with her Loaners, The little tot riding her is enjoying her lots and the mum is looking after her really well. I don't speak to them too much as i miss Lucy so much.
    she told me the other day Lucy has got mild sweet itch which is a bummer.

What a fabulous update! It sounds like you're really have the adventure of a lifetime - it opens your eyes, changes you as a person, teaches you to operate in the world. Brilliant!
    And congrats on the romance, as well -- I'll be honest. I have had some wonderful backpacking and travelling romances In the days before Facebook, etc, so we always went our separate ways with good memories to add to the life experience box. Enjoy each day as it comes and be so proud of yourself to going out there and doing it!

Fab update! I'm so jealous, it's something I'd love to do but just don't have the nerve to do it hope you continue having the best time once you get away from the bananas!

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

I'm so proud of you for finally taking the plunge and doing this trip. It will be so good for you as a person. I'm in the cheering section about the holiday romance too :clap: Frankly it's about time you moved on from that guy you were hanging on for that was stringing you along, you can do better than that.

One thing I want to say though...this trip is about you. Have a good hard think about what you want from it, and be 'selfish' (but it's not really selfish), and if that doesn't include hanging around at that banana farm being unhappy while Mr Holiday Romance makes some money, pack your bags and hit the road sweetie. I know it's easier travelling with someone but you don't need to tie yourself to a temporary guy if you want to do something else.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

Sounds fab Hannah, so glad you are having such a good time! I am far too much of a homebird and settling into uni/my chosen career now, but I love hearing people's travelling stories and living it through them haha. Great that you are enjoying it so much after wanting to do it for so long. Keep us updated

Thanks everyone, I'm a pretty proud of myself

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    What a fabulous update! It sounds like you're really have the adventure of a lifetime - it opens your eyes, changes you as a person, teaches you to operate in the world. Brilliant!
    And congrats on the romance, as well -- I'll be honest. I have had some wonderful backpacking and travelling romances In the days before Facebook, etc, so we always went our separate ways with good memories to add to the life experience box. Enjoy each day as it comes and be so proud of yourself to going out there and doing it!
    I really am having a great time and yes its teaching me so much everyday. I'm not sure how things will turn out in the end with me and this guy but for now we're happy (well until we came to this banana farm haha0

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    I'm so proud of you for finally taking the plunge and doing this trip. It will be so good for you as a person. I'm in the cheering section about the holiday romance too :clap: Frankly it's about time you moved on from that guy you were hanging on for that was stringing you along, you can do better than that.

One thing I want to say though...this trip is about you. Have a good hard think about what you want from it, and be 'selfish' (but it's not really selfish), and if that doesn't include hanging around at that banana farm being unhappy while Mr Holiday Romance makes some money, pack your bags and hit the road sweetie. I know it's easier travelling with someone but you don't need to tie yourself to a temporary guy if you want to do something else.
    Yes, very true i did need to move on from that guy. Unfortunately i do still think about him, but its fading.
    I agree, i really will move on and do my own thing if this banana farm gets too much for me. Its hard because we get along so so well and he's a great guy and I've enjoyed everyday with him. Even when we have met other group of friends i only ever want to spend time with him But i definitely won't stay here more than a month, its good for me too because i do need extra money as well, plus its going towards my second year visa working here. But if he wants to stay longer or if i get low here i will be gone!
    thanks for being proud of me, I'm proud of me too

Wow!! What an adventure!! I would be far too wimpy to do something so brave, so well done indeed!! And exciting about the holiday romance!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Omg! It looks amazing! Some friends of mine are out there at the mo and having a ball! They are on a fruit farm too earning money

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

I love this update! So so pleased you've finally gone I loved my couple of months in aus/nz, and would definitely go back. As for holiday romance - is there anything better I'm still in contact with my kiwi holiday romance nearly 5 years after getting home. I'd definitely echo the others though about remembering why you're there and putting yourself first. Travelling with another person is hard!

Looks amazing. I just got back from Australia (holiday for me though), went to Cairns and Sydney. You will love Cairns!