Thread: The Midas Chronicles Vol. 2

Default The Midas Chronicles Vol. 2

It's been a long while since I updated my Midas diary, and it was very much about his progression as a youngster, As we reflect on 2016, it's time to start looking to the future as Midas becomes more and more mature with each passing year (would you believe his is 8 next year ).
    Also my truck battery has gone completely flat, so now seems a good time to make a start whilst I'm twiddling my thumbs doing nothing

So 2016 has not been a bad year for us, especially when I reflect on the end of 2015 when he was still really poorly - so I want to start with that despite us having not done as much as originally planned, I am just grateful to still have him here with me as some ponies were not so lucky at our yard

Midas didn't start back into any work until approximately February after getting a clean bill of health in January, and then just having some time to be a pony in a field.
    Before falling ill, he had only just come back into work after 6 months off as his behaviour ridden was pretty bad - rearing, bolting and generally just some very hair raising moments. As any concerned owner, he had everything checked inc. Vet and when all was clear, I decided he perhaps needed a holiday away from the arena (appears to have worked)
    So when I began work with him early this year he had totalled approx 9 months off work. So imagine my delight when I got on him to walk him round and he was a complete angel (didn't dare lunge and he hurt himself). We picked up the pace very very slowly - just enjoying riding him even if it was a lot of just walking.

We eventually did our first Dressage competition in April - just an Intro test so as not to push him too hard.
    He seemed a little tense and so was I, but despite that, we come home with a 1st and it was a pretty strong crowd.

The schooling was progressing quite well and Midas was quickly picking up all of his training from the previous year

By June I felt we were ready for some low level showing. Midas was in good condition but his mane was a complete mess! Something you will read a bit more about soon. Midas was not feeling showing that day and got upto his old tricks. Someone mounting on a block gave him the opportunity to rear, spin and bronc like a rodeo horse around the arena, sending others to a stand still, thankfully he stopped as I was starting to lose my position. Not wishing to let him win, we still entered the classes and we did come away with a 2nd and 3rd but he was figitty. We have been working on him in busy places and is getting much better, I don't need a leader to the arena anymore...most of the time

Remember the dreadful mane?? Yes well it really was! The bottom half would not grow and I tried absolutely every lotion, potion, rug and feed supplement to little success!
    So i decided it was time! I sedated him and we clipped the lot off, including his legs and I no longer had a welsh D, I had a little show cob.

Love it or hate it, I think he pulled it off. I haven't re-clipped it and it is growing but when I hogged him, he had very dry skin where the mane was barely growing so hogging gave me a chance to clean it daily and also apply coconut oil everyday but still making little difference - permanent damage somehow perhaps? Anyway I'm keen to see how it grows if I let it but more than happy to clip it off again if it doesn't work out.

More dressage again in July - and at this point Midas is model pupil. Very chilled, relaxed and actually willing to work (we must be doing something right lol)
    We bagged a 1st in the Prelim and a 2nd in the Intro - again a strong class of what I thought to be good horses!

We haven't worked too hard over 2016, keeping the work fairly light with some light competition every now and again

This is turning into a long year round up so will add another post for my winter with Midas ☺

Ok so let me continue with Autumn and Winter Midas. First of all I did this really rather daft thing and signed up to the Wobbleberries Challenge. I jump Midas but it's not my thing and avoid it where possible - which is a shame and Midas is a fab little jumper and he really enjoys it (more than showing). So I thought signing up to this challenge would make me do it!! This is proving harder than I thought as I have no one at my lonely yard to do exactly that 'make me do it!!' So I'm often doing what I always do and just avoiding it. The one good thing is there is regular SJ competitions at my yard so I do do the clear rounds or enter a lower class. We don't have any jump clinics going at the moment which is a shame.
    But Midas still does like jumping so whether I do it or not, Midas will still happily give it a good go when I'm feeling brave ☺

One thing that pleased me was a fairly recent trip to my local riding club for a jump clinic. The last time we jumped there he refused every fence first time. Don't get me wrong, it did earn us an outstanding achievement award ☺
    But we had had a couple good clear round sessions and wanted something I could do regularly after work.
    Midas was amazing at the jump clinic - he did have a wobble over the poles but got going eventually. We did a bounce grid - something Midas had never done before and he was brilliant! After some pretty big leaps, he nailed it! I didn't even have a confidence wobble which is a first! Shame the clinics then stopped until 2017. So apart from a couple jump shows, we've done no real training.
    Midas hasn't ever seen a x country jump yet but can't take him alone so may struggle (no I really don't have ANY riders at my yard).

We are just taking it easy for Xmas.

Midas has lost some condition so we have moved onto TopSpec following a nutrition visit from them so I'm watching him closely for progress. Will post progress pictures also.

Can't wait for 2017 with my boy, we have had ups and so many downs, but he is my world and I can't imagine a day without him xx

This is him today so let's take this as day 1 - only just started introducing the TopSpec.

It's been nice just riding a sensible Midas recently. Not having him spook at every silly little thing, or throw a tantrum at it.
    We've only really been doing some 'light' riding to loosen him back up and get him going again. Would much rather hack but he is still a bit of a *** on his own at times (may try today if fog lifts).

Midas has been on Top Spec for just under 2 weeks. I was recommended to feed him pre and probiotics because he is always a little tucked up. I think he has put a little weight on but other than that, I haven't noticed anything different yet? I suppose it's hard to tell when the yard leave your horse turned out on his own and you find him galloping up and down the field (really frustrating!!) so he's all sweaty and tucked up anyway.

Managed to get some pictures from today, I'll never make a photographer out of my OH, but at least he tried lol xx

Wearing a new rug - bargain buy of 2016 as only 10 with postage ☺

A condition update. This is week two on the TopSpec regime.

This is week three.

Definitely starting to notice a difference in his Ridden. He is beginning to build top line and muscle so I'm seeing some amazing lateral and collection in his work.
    I'm regularly lungeing(say twice a week) in the Pessoa and that is really helping to engage the hindquarters so hopefully will start to see some build up there.

Too early to notice any big differences I think, but I'm definitely starting to feel them xx

Dressage today! This time we went out, to a venue we had never yet been to. They do a lot of weekday and weekend competitions so one worth us trying out.
    We had just booked for an Intro test, knowing Midas would need to get to know his surroundings. I wasn't expecting him to go amazingly anyway (just get out, stretch his legs and maybe get a rosette out of it)

He warmed up ok. The warm-up is on the small side but the only issue we had was him being a little behind the leg.

The unusually good behaviour was short lived, going in for our test, he wouldn't walk along the outside and nearly ploughed down the photographer.
    He was better inside the dressage boards but not for long...we came down the centre line towards C, and before we got to see, Midas decided to freestyle with a bit of rearing and spinning . With a kick on, we were back on a line and going round. Amazingly he did improve through the test, and managed some nice paces and circles ☺
    We came 4th - not bad in a class of at least 6 (it could have gone a whole lot worse given his behaviour at the start)

The event organiser mentioned I could squeeze into a Prelim class so decided to go for Prelim 14. He started off with a good warm-up but 15mins before our test he decided to rest and spook at every sign/poster or even just passing spectator! He was really acting a pain!! Even going around the dressage aren before the bell, he was a ***, dancing all over the place and spoiling at anything he could find.
    Once the bell went, he went into focus mode. Ok so he was distracted still at times but his canter felt great and he was really well behaved
    You can see for yourself, the video is of Preliminary 14. Some fab canter. The judges comments are about his consistency which needs to improve but I'm happy. We actually came 2nd!! I wasn't expecting that at all so really chuffed with the result (6 in class). We even qualified for the venues dressage championships. I think I might actually go

The Boy done good xxx

I'm quite pleased with the progress on Midas' condition. He's been getting his two feeds a day including the TopSpec balancer. Alongside upping his exercise + lungeing twice a week seems to be making all the difference. He's managed to put on some weight and is now slowly building his top line back up. Fingers crossed he is going to look spot on for some summer competitions.

Now I'm just left with what to do regarding his mane. I've left it to see how the mane turns out but it's still looking thin at the base so not expecting it to look much better than before. So I might just leave it a little longer, and if not I'll be getting the clippers out again ☺

I'm in pain!!

We did dressage at home yesterday. Booked in for Intro C & Prelim 4. I expected a fairly good performance from Midas, and a chance to work on some of the positional things I've been doing in lessons.

Midas was great in the warm-up, working in well and if anything, a little lazy. He wasn't at all spooky and was (or so I thought) extremely chilled.
    We went in for our test trotting down the centre line, we turned right at C. Then before we fully got round the corner, he jumped and spun, throwing me sideways and hitting the ground hard! I whacked my lower back and head. It hurt and I most certainly shed some tears.
    I did get back up and walked it off before re-mounting and finishing my test. Obviously we were eliminated but I wanted to see my score sheet. It certainly wasn't his best as he was completely off focus!! Although we wouldn't have come last with the score we got if not eliminated.
    We still did the Prelim test which started off great but then in left canter he changed lead and tried to run out of the boards. We finished off much better and to my surprise we picked up a couple of 8 scores!! Overall we came second.
    I've got a major bad left leg that hurts like hell and the left side of my neck is tight, but luckily I am all ok!! Getting a sports massage booked as I think I need one. Midas will get one too..just to rule out any tightness in him...although his outburst is likely to just be a 'Midas moment'!!

I have bought these photos but wanted to share now before prints arrive. I think we had some good moments...took a while to realise that at the time but glad I can reflect ☺☺

Well done for getting back on!!!!!
    I'm get seriously close to taking my first tumble off bobby! I hate falling!!!!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]