Thread: Patent Vs Plain leather Riding Boots

Default Patent Vs Plain leather Riding Boots

Hey Everyone,

I'm finally getting back into the saddle again in the next few weeks and I am planning to invest in a good, but nice pair of leather boots and wanted to know what the Pros and cons are between a pair of full patent leather riding boots and the traditional plain leather or equileather boots?

I know the equilether boots are generally mass produced and are of a synthetic material, which generally makes their price range much lower than a good pair of leather boots.

I had looked around online for any comparisons of the 2 styles, but nothing was available, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thank you in advance and I hope you all have a great day.
    "Wild s couldn't drag me away

I personally stay with plain leather but that is more that I think patent isn't a good look I have ariat bromonts which I cannot recommend enough!!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Thank you Minstrel, but I wanted to know if patent leather boots are easier to keep clean and maintain as close to pristine condition for competitions, than plain leather boots or not?

Thank you very much again for your feedback.

Actually, no. The patent is a finish on top of the leather and it isn't hard wearing over time. Plain leather boots, looked after well, will remain better looking longer term.

Minstrel is also right that patent finish boots aren't going to be a very good look on you. Of course, if that's the look you like, that's your business. But if you're looking for practicality, smartness, and durability, you're better with the plain leather boots. You can always polish them up to a mirror shine if you like, anyway.
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
    [/URL].[/CENTER]

I agree that plain leather boots look and clean easier.
    I have a pair of synthetic Broginis that were a bargain in compassion to the leather ones and they clean up so easily! I wear them for everyday riding and save some leather ones for competition riding but quite often find my self using the synthetics as they're so comfy and warm x

Thank you for your feedback everyone.

I'm mostly used to the plain leather boots and had seen some with patent tops, but was a bit dubious about the idea of going for boots with a patent finish as I suspected they would be more prone to scuffs, scratches, etc.

Thank you again for the feedback and it pretty much confirms what I had suspected.