Thread: Time for Pastures New

Default Time for Pastures New

I did something today that I never thought would happen and I'm experiencing very mixed emotions about the whole thing tbh.

Today, after just shy of 6 years working as a Riding Instructor, Training Supervisor/Assessor & Yard manager/staff (I do a lot there)....I have handed in my notice, and I'm not going to be working with horses anymore!

I'm guessing it's mixed emotions because I've worked in the industry for 15 years, but, and this may sound crazy but I don't think I enjoy it anymore. More and more time feels like it's being spent working with no downtime. I work long hours, then do my horse and I don't seem to be enjoying him either because of it. Also, mucking out 15 horses a day is starting to take its toll.

I'm going to become a P.A - less hours but better pay and more time after work to enjoy my horse without it drawing into twilight hours.

I feel like I've done it at a terrible time, a lot is going on at the yard at the moment and my boss and I have always been close friends.

The future seems very hazy and I only hope I haven't made a mistake. I would like to still do an equine science degree from home, perhaps this is a good excuse as I will have the time.

So for now, here's to an unknown but hopefully brighter future.

GOOD LUCK!

Fwiw I worked with horses on and off until it near killed me. I went full time office and that felt so difficult after years outdoors ... So I went part-time office and took on a few private clients for freelance teaching/training ... Then I got hurt and lost ALL that income. I was fortunate to be able to go full-time at work, suddenly with an appreciation of my age and breaking body!! That was 2 years ago and I wouldn't go back to horses now. I have some private clients because I can't say no, but it's ~ 3-4 hours per week + clipping work in winter, and to be honest it scratches my itch and I need nothing else ... The money from the office work = a better life for me and my horses!

^ That was my long way of saying you haven't made a mistake. All bodies break in the end. In the office that's OK, but out there it's harsh and there less job security when you are injured.

I'm a PA, it's seldom dull that's for sure. Good luck with your new career!

You honestly won't regret it. I worked with horses for 15 years and like you I did a lot, mucking out, managing, teaching on occasion, looking after anywhere between 50 and 80 horses. Anyway I got made redundant as they sold the yard for development and I have been working in an office now for almost 3 years and haven't looked back. The only thing I miss is the exercise, I've gained a lot of weight since working in an office but other then that I now enjoy my horses more. You honestly won't miss it, best of luck in your new job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys ☺ I've got my leaving date for 25/02/17 and start my new job on 27/02/17 (with my birthday in between lol).
    I'm sad to be leaving but my boss has been great, we even went for dinner last night and had a lovely evening. She wants me to be available to teach which I said I would as do love teaching and I have been given the option to return if I decide a career change was a stupid idea.

Midas is moving yards also as my boss is closing off the livery yard (save a tonne on business rates). My friend has a lovely yard, I just pay livery and she does anything I need doing at no extra cost (provided I house sit when she goes away) so hopefully a change of scenery will do Midas some good xx

Congrats on the new job! Enjoy it! When I worked with horses and had 3 of my own I started hating my own horses and that's when I said no and gave up working with horses

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Good luck.

I promise you that you won't regret it. I did the same a few years ago, I am now earning considerably more than I was with horses and i have considerably more motivation to spend time with my horse. When you're working with them all day it can be very hard to make time for your own.

Horses will now become your downtime, rather than a bus man's holiday.

I've given up working with horses too, I handed my notice in a couple of weeks ago (and was then asked to leave before I'd worked my notice because I asked for a sick day and they didn't believe I was ill?!) I couldn't do it anymore, at the end of my day at work I didn't even want to go and see my own! I'm hopefully starting to set up my own business now! As well as doing some work Part Time