Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badger 2017

Default Badger 2017

Today we had a lesson with a SJ trainer

It was a strange lesson. Just a double and in gale force winds, including a jump wing falling over as we jumped the jump.

Badger felt sluggish and jumping into the wind was ****** hard work.

Last night I dreamt of my new found confidence and ended up feeling disappointed today

Turned Badger back out when we got back to the yard and moped for two hours. So this evening I tacked back up and went for some fun in the XC field happiness restored as he was really keen out there ...........

Then Josh had a ride in the field also. Badger is such a good lad and I know I can count on him to look after my son (I'm still always very careful don't worry). He even took him into the stream on his own

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Fab pics, he is very handsome!

Another good week finished off with a good afternoon

A lot of people would laugh at me for having a grin after going on a just short hack. But this was a big thing for us. We moved yards 6 months ago, mainly for the off road hacking on the farm after I came to a standstill (literally) when trying to hack Badger out alone.

His napping had been awful, but he is starting grow up. I've been meaning to try a hack out off the farm on our own for ages, so today we did. Over the main road, up the fields, over the canal bridge, did the gates, managed a couple of happy trots and a canter and even popped a ditch twice, all on our own 😀😀😀 he wasn't perfect as he did stop three times, but I just reassured him and he walked on. Biggest grin ever tonight. Another milestone for us and a beautiful day for it!

You guys are really doing so well, you must be chuffed to bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely to see you looking so happy together and congrats on the hack! Solo hacking IS a big deal if your horse isn't great with it. I tried to take Marv just for a solo cool off walk down the lane after schooling a couple of weeks ago and we had ww3 on our hands by the time we got to next doors driveway!

You're both doing so well. I also think it's normal to have the odd disappointing day - and that makes the great days all the better!

Yes that's very true LOL. We have to have a bad one every so often

And I also have to remind myself that there are plenty of horses our there that actually won't hack out alone at all, so slow progress is good

Today we hired the indoor arena at Hothorpe for an hour. I was determined not to start at teeny tiny size so we popped them down to about 65-70cm. Badger was a bit spooky but we got good ok, if a bit sticky.

He didn't seem to like a white spread in the corner which was actually the smallest one there, and pinged it. So we tried again, kicked on and OMG he gave it the leap of death.........Needless to say I tested my air jacket out for the first time LOL. Glad to say it works and I bounced, Josh actually laughed bless him.

And the outtake just before I plopped on the floor from a great height LOL

In the end after my friend had put them all up to about 90cm and had a play, we popped them ALL down to 60-65cm and we jumped the all really nicely to finish.

Last Saturday we did our first Trailblazers dressage competition. It was at a new venue with quite a spooky indoor arena. When I arrived at the yard to get Badger ready I noticed he'd lost yet another shoe!!! That made it 4 in a week!! he wasnt lame so we went anyway LOL

He was a little behind the leg BUT went nicely in the first test which was our first attempt at a long arena test. We scored 66% and came 6th, so middle of the road in a decent class which pleased me we qualified for the 2nd round yay

Next class went a bit wrong. Badger was so sluggish it was unreal (I now know that jumping him the day before is not ideal) and i failed to get left canter so stupidly I circled and tried again as I would do at home.... Ding ding.... Error. Tried again and got it, rest was OK but not the best. Got 63% so not horrendous LOL

I went to a new venue, on our own and he loaded first time both ways and behaved perfectly. I was pleased despite the crap second test.

Today was our Riding Club dressage championship and we got our personal best of 68.70% (4th in first class) and 67.23% (3rd in next class)

He was in front of the leg and obedient and such a good lad.

Think that deserves a glass of wine tonight and a carrot for Badger boy ❤❤🐴🐎