Thread: Keeping And Managing A Retired Horse?

Default Keeping And Managing A Retired Horse?

Following Cassie's lameness investigation, the decision was made today for her to be retired. I've never had a horse out of work for more than a couple of weeks before, so I was wondering if there are any special things I need to do for her?

She's 8 years old, traditional cob, good doer (very good doer!), struggles with keeping weight off, the vet looked and said there's no obvious signs of her having had lami. but she is the right sort for it!

She's retired due to architectural changes in her stifles, which has caused the joints to fuse in both legs. She's not in pain at the moment, but should she start to show signs of pain or deteriorating, she will be put down (hopefully it wont come to that!).

Feed wise she's getting a handful of safe and sound, turmeric and some linseed to compliment the turmeric. She's out at the moment for about 18 hours, in for 6 with soaked hay.

She's barefoot and always has been.

My plan was to just continue things as normal, and do a little groundwork/clicker training with her.

Sorry to read this

When my mare had to be retired with breathing problems, cob very good doer, the big problem I had was trying to manage her weight. It was a choice between very small bare patch or muzzling her. It took a couples of different muzzles to find one that worked for her but once I found one it worked really well. It meant she was able to have normal turnout with others.

Sorry to hear about Cassie.

When Leo retired last year (13yrs old) I used a combination of strip grazing and muzzling to keep on top of his weight. If he was better to stable I probably would have stabled in the day with hay and muzzled turnout overnight. Unfortunately I had to make the decision to put him down when his breathing started to deteriorate, but I like to think he was happy and comfortable just being a horse until then

My mare (who is 27) has been retired for years, she's quite happy doing nothing! Thankfully I don't have to worry about her weight as much as I did with Leo!

Thanks for the advice.

In fairness she seems to be managing her weight quite well! Her and her field mate are out pretty much 24/7 so the grass has been kept down, if anything Cass seems to have lost some weight which is a nice change!

She's settling into retirement well, she seems a lot happier in herself