Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yearling

Default Yearling

Hello,

Long time no post!

I have recently (last week) bought a yearling, his name is a Buster & he is a 1yr old Hanoverian cross. He's estimated to reach 16hh & will probably be well built looking at his legs & chest.

He is my first horse of this age.

He is just about to finish the standard isolation period at the yard I have chosen to keep him at and is going out tomorrow. In this time he has had ad lib hay and in hand walks twice a day with picks of grass too. The intention is for him to be out 24/7/365 and he will be with another yearling a few months older than him and a couple of 3 year olds.

I think the grazing is OK but not sure if he might need something to support his healthy growth?

I don't want to pump him full of stuff he doesn't need, stuff that will heat him up or stuff that will promote an unnatural and unhealthy rate of growth. I just want him to have something that will provide him with what he needs and promote that healthy growth. Do you have any recommendations?

He will be bought in and handled every day and when he comes in will have hay available too.

Thank you
    Jess

A friend currently has her yearling on a balancer, top spec top chop, and stud mix. But these are small token feeds as he is living out, 24/7 and she doesn't want him growing like wildfire either.
    http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45_1.gif
    Proud Owner Of Two Ex Race Horses, Mr Tuplin And Rony Dony

When George was a baby he got stud balancer and grass nuts, which then became same balancer and happy hoof. You certainly want to stay away from any conditioning feeds at this point.

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Topspec lite balancer is all Bob was on. First winter I gave him a small bale of hay a week (he was in a 12 acre paddock on his own) last winter he was stabled at night and had ad lib hay in his stable. This year I might do hay nets as me and friend are sharing fields so mine is rest now until October so they will have really good grass

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
    [URL="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/kissmesweet69/media/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png.html"][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/kissmesweet69/Kris%201_zps27izfsmy.png[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you all for responding!

I've popped him onto grass nuts, a grass chaff type thing (?) and D&H Suregrow for now!

He's now on box rest for the next month so having a hay/haylage mix aswell as two feeds a day! He is one happy chappy!

Sooo where are the pictures?

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Congrats on your baby!

I kept Ghost on a balancer until she was about 5. Since then she's lived off grass + pink powder She's always grown nice and evenly, not too fast, not too slow!

Mine just get mineral lick and extra if they look bony later in winter.

Odin does brilliantly on the forage plus Youngstock balancer and speedibeet with a bit of chaff. He gets grass/Lucie nuts if he needs a little 'extra'.

I went through every option possible when trying to decide what to feed him (seriiusly! It's a minefield...) Issue I had with all the pelleted balancers was the level of starch, and that most wouldn't state their vit/min content (particularly topspec). That's how I wound up on forage plus, needed something for king. It worked. Added Odin too.

Looks pricey to start with but each back lasts three months.

I got Gollie as a weanling and started her on Saracen stamm30, with a little bit of beet and grass chop, as well as ad lib haylage. In summer she's had nothing but grass
    She's now 2 years 5 months and has grown steadily and evenly

Weanling
    image.jpg
    Yearling
    image.jpg
    2 years
    image.jpg