Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hat recommendations

It looks like a day at the saddlery hat shopping and size testing is on the cards for tomorrow Do you find the AYR8 is forgiving in sizes? I'm an inbetween of 56 and 57 lol!

Quote Originally Posted by rosabelle View Post
    It looks like a day at the saddlery hat shopping and size testing is on the cards for tomorrow Do you find the AYR8 is forgiving in sizes? I'm an inbetween of 56 and 57 lol!
    I think it is quite forgiving but I have a monster head

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Depending on your budget and what you are comfortable in wearing, take a peak at a HS1 which you can get a black velvet hat silk for. I honestly don't like fixed peaks, i do have two fixed peaks. One was for sj, but after have a fall a couple of years back and cracking my neck with it, i decided to not use it. My other one is for the summer a light weight vented hat, the peak is a easy break, but i'm still reluctant to use it. I bought the HS1 in black sparkle a couple of months ago, and really can't fault it.
    http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45_1.gif
    Proud Owner Of Two Ex Race Horses, Mr Tuplin And Rony Dony

Quote Originally Posted by karsteine View Post
    Depending on your budget and what you are comfortable in wearing, take a peak at a HS1 which you can get a black velvet hat silk for. I honestly don't like fixed peaks, i do have two fixed peaks. One was for sj, but after have a fall a couple of years back and cracking my neck with it, i decided to not use it. My other one is for the summer a light weight vented hat, the peak is a easy break, but i'm still reluctant to use it. I bought the HS1 in black sparkle a couple of months ago, and really can't fault it.
    I think the Ayr8 is an easy break peak, I won't be doing any X country again I don't think sadly and tbh nothing has ever fitted me as well as the ayr8

The only skulls I ever fancy just don't sit right on my noggin! Fingers crossed Rosabelle found one today...?

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.

I ended up going for the AYR8 junior ()

i did try the hs1, gatehouse conquest and also another champion hat but non were as comfortable as the Charles Owen. Very happy with my purchase, came with free hat fitting and a free hat bag!

Had my my heart set on a gatehouse but both models I tried pinched the front of my head and felt very tight in my size and a size up - clearly the fitting/shape wasn't right.
    i chose the "round" version of the ayr8

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I think the Ayr8 is an easy break peak, I won't be doing any X country again I don't think sadly and tbh nothing has ever fitted me as well as the ayr8

The only skulls I ever fancy just don't sit right on my noggin! Fingers crossed Rosabelle found one today...?
    I'm very funny about my hats, ever since i had a riding accident, and my peak didn't break, when i hit the ground head first the peak hit first and flung my head and neck back. Causing my back and legs to burn, it took a month before i could really move my neck properly.

Quote Originally Posted by rosabelle View Post
    I ended up going for the AYR8 junior ()

i did try the hs1, gatehouse conquest and also another champion hat but non were as comfortable as the Charles Owen. Very happy with my purchase, came with free hat fitting and a free hat bag!

Had my my heart set on a gatehouse but both models I tried pinched the front of my head and felt very tight in my size and a size up - clearly the fitting/shape wasn't right.
    i chose the "round" version of the ayr8
    I've heard Gatehouse and Charles Owens have different head shapes to them making it more awkward for fitting, i'm another who is lucky to fit kids size hats so no vat lol. Hope you have lots of fun with your new hat though
    Last edited by karsteine; 23-08-2017 at 18:48.
    http://www.trotonline.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic45_1.gif
    Proud Owner Of Two Ex Race Horses, Mr Tuplin And Rony Dony

Quote Originally Posted by karsteine View Post
    I'm very funny about my hats, ever since i had a riding accident, and my peak didn't break, when i hit the ground head first the peak hit first and flung my head and neck back. Causing my back and legs to burn, it took a month before i could really move my neck properly.

I've heard Gatehouse and Charles Owens have different head shapes to them making it more awkward for fitting, i'm another who is lucky to fit kids size hats so no vat lol. Hope you have lots of fun with your new hat though
    I think the different head shape is why I have struggled to get anything on my giant head!! Glad you got on Rosabelle!! that you got a junior after my comment above!!

Did you go for leather look?

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I think the different head shape is why I have struggled to get anything on my giant head!! Glad you got on Rosabelle!! that you got a junior after my comment above!!

Did you go for leather look?

I clearly have a weird shaped head, round shape cos my forehead is clearly massive, but my head is also shallow

No I went for the material in the end, wanted leather. But my budget didn't stretch that far